StageFright: why are you not using JavaBeans?

by ss » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:00:30 GMT

 Hello!
Im relatively new to Android, and on the verge of using StageFright.

I am curious to know why StageFright has been designed the way it is in the
GingerBread release. Why have Google NOT used JavaBeans - it would have been
so easy to write new codecs and new Media Sinks as JavaBeans, and the
Framework could have provided a means for any application to have a
mix-and-match of sources and sinks.

Thanks and BR
Shrikumar

--

Re: StageFright: why are you not using JavaBeans?

by Dianne Hackborn » Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:22:53 GMT

 Android doesn't use JavaBeans, period.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.

Re: StageFright: why are you not using JavaBeans?

by ss » Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:23:48 GMT

 >> Android doesn't use JavaBeans, period.

Thanks for the reply, it certainly helps.
The reason I asked was because a (superficial) glance at the api at

 http://developer.android.com/reference/java/beans/package-summary.html

had some entries for java.beans. now that you mention it, the stuff for
BeanInfo and the like are not available.

So what is the principle behind StageFright as compared to GStreamer?  - Or
am I comparing apples and oranges here?
Are any usage examples available ?

Re: StageFright: why are you not using JavaBeans?

by Dianne Hackborn » Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:55:34 GMT

 I don't work on media, so I couldn't address things like comparing
stagefright with gstreamer.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com

answer them.

--

Re: StageFright: why are you not using JavaBeans?

by Indicator Veritatis » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 18:28:57 GMT

 This is only tangential to the real topic, but I have to comment on
Java Beans: I fully agree with Allen Holub. Beans are NOT good
examples of object oriented code. So I am glad they are not used in
Android.

1. Fwd: Regarding R class in application project