So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Al Sutton » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:20:48 GMT

 So guys, And Ice Cream Sandwich is rolling towards us and what would you like
to see in it?

Let the water-cooler discussion begin...

Al.

======
Funky Android Limited is registered in England & Wales with the company number
6741909.

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily
those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

--
.

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by JP » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:12:13 GMT

I'd say STOP and go back fix the inadequacies and major bugs left by
the wayside.

--
.

Re: Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Al Sutton » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:36:58 GMT

 Do you want to name and shame some of your favourites? :)

======
Funky Android Limited is registered in England & Wales with the company number
6741909.

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily
those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

--
.

Re: Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by paul zazzarino » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:38:12 GMT

 there's always room for [that in] jello

chuckles !

So guys, And Ice Cream Sandwich is rolling towards us and what would you like to see in it? Let the water-cooler discussion begin...
I'd say STOP and go back fix the inadequacies and major bugs left by the wayside. -- . -- .

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Matt Pellerin » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:56:15 GMT

 Amen lol

of

.

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by TreKing » Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:56:52 GMT

I would actually like to see things *out* of it: namely crapware like
Amazone MP3, Facebook, Twitter, Goggles, and the newest entry to the list of
useless, unsolicited bloat: Google Books.

If I wanted this garbage on my phone I would download them myself, goddamn
it.

TreKing < http://sites.google.com/site/rezmobileapps/treking> ; - Chicago

.

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Maps.Huge.Info (Maps API Guru) » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 00:20:13 GMT

 I'd like to see:

More concentration on efficiency and speed as opposed to more feature
bloat.

Remove a lot of the "included apps" as has been stated eloquently by
Goggles in the OS? They are fine apps but it should be my choice
whether or not they are taking up valuable space on my device. I'd
like to see everything not absolutely required (lets keep maps and
GMail) be a
downloadable app.

-John Coryat

--
.

Re: Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Mark Murphy » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 00:53:54 GMT

 On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Maps.Huge.Info (Maps API Guru)

They are not in the OS. They are in the firmware distributed to various devices.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
 http://commonsware.com  |  http://github.com/commonsguy

Android Training Worldwide:  http://commonsware.com/training

--
.

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Chris Becker » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:22:42 GMT

You should see what an android phone looks like coming out of AT&T.
Their bloatware makes the above look like a blessing.

--
.

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Kent Loobey » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 02:24:50 GMT

Well there is another reason to not use AT&T.

--
.

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Nathan » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 02:36:43 GMT

Do they include an app that explains how to "upgrade" to an iPhone? ;)

--
.

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Brian Conrad » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 03:24:33 GMT

So guys, And Ice Cream Sandwich is rolling towards us and what would you like to see in it? Let the water-cooler discussion begin... Al. ====== Funky Android Limited is registered in England& Wales with the company number 6741909. The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.
Better developer support, better API documentation not just some slap-dash information. Faster fixes to known bugs. You still can't test an app with LVL on an emulator with 2.3 or above. That should have been fixed in a few days but it has now been several months. Better examples, some are overblown and some are too lean. Unfortunately as others have mentioned to this topic the API is getting bloated by trying to support every little thing that some dweeb wants in it. That's how Windows got so bloated. I see some really weird requests reading the developer group. -- .

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by Christer Nordvik » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 05:07:06 GMT

 * Source of Honeycomb? Bragging about being open-source but where is
that source?
* Real widgets that can actually be used for something. Like a
coverflow widget, a list widget with a nice predefined GUI ++. So
maybe we can have some consistency between apps.
* A working Market Console. The "Auto fill" button in the console has
been broken for a week. Read the sad story in the Market Technical
help if you want to. Google does not...
* Get rid of the emulator and write a new one. The Honeycomb emulator
is so slow I had to buy a Xoom just to develop tablet apps.

We really don't need many new features, we need the features already
out there to work and Google to respond to developers about market
issues.

-Christer

--
.

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by J. Maximilian » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 05:46:08 GMT

 Things I'm REALLY unhappy about;

* Bugs! LOTS OF THEM! LOTS! I have to take out my battery about once
per day. (I'm worried Google is getting too excited over new things
and they don't have the motivation to go back to check over their
work)
* Restrictions - I'm running a Samsung Vibrant so it may not be w/
everyone else, but I can't launch my camera if my battery hits below
15% --- that's some Bull SH-- (I think things can get better
* Crapps - Amazon, etc. Pretty sure everyone has this complaint
* Better Security - For some reason, I don't think you should have to
download an app that scans your files to make sure you aren't
downloading something malicious. We need something by default to scan
what we download.

Off topic:
* Honeycomb emulator - Who's got a computer fast enough to run this?
Do they not want any indie developers on the tablet platform? Way to
take away the gigantic advantage you have over Apple, Google.

--
.

Re: So where do we go from Honeycomb....

by JP » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:11:08 GMT

Off the cuff I am sure I forgot a bunch
- Non technology: Work towards meaningful relationships with devs as
opposed to roughing them up. This includes instituting a practice of
releasing SDKs ahead of production releases
- Keep the Google APIs current, especially the Maps API. Although
*some* work has gone into the release associated with Gingerbread
- Bring back googlenav
- Optimize TTS
- I was always bothered why apps are being sent through the activity
lifecycle on a device orientation change. Never made sense to me.
- Better keep-alive for background services

--
.

Other Threads

1. Access to data folder on Google Nexus S

Hello,
can someone help me. I can't access to "data" folder in Google Nexus
S, any idea how I can do it? Don't ask please that I'm using DDMS the
answer is YES and even there I can't access to that folder, I also
tried to do it by command line and guess what... no way.

Please any idea?

--

2. [close] WTA - root axio picopad

Thanks buat infonya.

yach.

3. Differnce between Page Switcher and Page Flipper

4. OT: IO ticket

5. RPC for native usage

6. BluetoothSettings Force close problem

7. charset-problem?: some phonetic signs will not be displayed.