How to get the accesss on /data/misc/vpn folder (Permission denied)?

by ADPool » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 03:46:58 GMT

 Hell everyone,

I am working on an applicaiton that requires to access VPN setting
information, howevery I am encountering a permisison denied issue whne
the application accesses VPN setting on /data/misc/vpn folder (Android
2.2 OS), can anyone help how to resolve this issue, did I miss any
users-permission setting in AndroidManifest.xml?

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /data/misc/vpn/profiles/
4599898380687054558.pobj (Permission denied): /data/misc/vpn/profiles/
4599898380687054558.pobj (Permission denied)

Here are the users-permission setting in AndroidManifest.xml now:

    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_SETTINGS" /
    <uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS" />

Thanks in andvance,

ADPool

--

Re: How to get the accesss on /data/misc/vpn folder (Permission denied)?

by Kumar Bibek » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 03:54:20 GMT

 Some folders will always be private. You cannot just hack into those folders
without rooting your phone.

In short, there is no way.

Kumar Bibek
 http://techdroid.kbeanie.com
 http://www.kbeanie.com

1. Desperate call for help. Need complete reinstall of Android

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but I'm
so desperate I'm going to do so anyway.

I was attempting to install the ARM EL Python minimal package from the
Debian stable repositories. I remounted /system as read-write, and
then copied the /sdcard/usr directory (containing Python) to /system/
usr. The copy worked. I then chmod Python to be executable, and then
try executing it. For some reason, it still does not let me execute
it.

So after a few attempts at executing Python, I run 'pwd'. A few
seconds after running pwd, the Android system goes completely
unresponsive. Suddenly, I'm back at the flashing Android screen.
Android appears to have crashed.

Not having realized all that has gone wrong yet, I go back to the
terminal application to take another crack at Python. For some reason,
whenever I press a key, the character ^@ is generated. I know I'm in
big trouble now.
It appears that the keyboard has stopped working at all. Only in the
terminal is any visible response generated. So I go and do a wipe of
the phone.

After doing the wipe, I encountered the "touch the android to
continue" screen and noticed that the same issue with the keyboard
still existed.

At this point, I think I will have to do a complete reinstall of
Android because my modifications were in /system.

Any method to bring my Android phone back to normal?

(What I'm thinking is to put get the firmware and put it into an
update.zip, but I do not have a microSD card reader and the phone
doesn't let me mount the microSD card because i have not filled in my
Google Account information.)

2. Fwd: Phone as a modem???

Sent this out last week and no response.... any help out there?