Getting the application icon to show in the launcher

by Bret Foreman » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:19:35 GMT

 I created a simple app with a single activity and a 64X64 pixel png
icon. But I'm seeing the default Android icon instead of my drawable.
The icon is in res/drawable/icon.png and the manifest is as shown. I
also tried adding an icon attribute to the activity but that didn't
change - it's still just showing the default icon in the launcher. Any
idea what I might be doing wrong?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android=" http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" ;
      package="com.speakez"
      android:versionCode="1"
      android:versionName="1.0">
    <application android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="@string/
app_name" android:debuggable="true">
        <activity android:name=".MainActivity" android:label="@string/
app_name"  >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category
android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

    </application>
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" />

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CALL_PHONE"></uses-
permission>
</manifest>

--

Re: Getting the application icon to show in the launcher

by Kostya Vasilyev » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:30:39 GMT

 Bret,

Not sure if this is it, but the standard icon size for mdpi is 48x48, not
64x64:

 http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design_launcher.html #size5

The manifest looks fine.

-- Kostya