Newbi

by shaunak saha » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:30:38 GMT

 Hi All,

I am a completely  newbie with the android platform and to explore and know
about the security framework in android. I have just
downloaded the source code,build and run the emulator in ubuntu.

I have been working in SELinux for last few months.
 http://code.google.com/android/devel/security.html i got that security here
is in process level,that every application runs in a sandboxed environment.I
have two questions(maybe they are too basic to ask,sorry for that)

1.Is there any security when some application wants to make a system call?
2.Which module in android source code is responsible for security
enforcement(want to know where to start with in order to know about android
security)?

Could anyone help me?

Regards,
Shaunak

Newbi

by Alex Stamos » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:02:47 GMT

 Shaunak-

My colleague, Jesse Burns wrote a very good overview of the Android security
model, which should cover most of your questions:

 http://www.isecpartners.com/files/iSEC_Securing_Android_Apps.pdf

Let me know if you have any more questions after reading this doc.

   -Alex

---------------------------
I am a completely newbie with the android platform and toexploreand know
about the security framework in android. I have just
downloaded the source code,build and run the emulator in ubuntu.

I have been working in SELinux for last few months.

1.Is there any security when some application wants to make a system call?
2.Which module in android source code is responsible for security
enforcement(want to know where to start with in order to know about android
security)?

Could anyone help me?

Regards,
Shaunak

Newbi

by Andi Latte » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:31:32 GMT

 Hi,

i guess you need to clarify your questions first. If your working on the
Java/Android layer, then the document of Alex might help you. If you are
interested in the linux layer, you might first add an appropriate tool
for following system calls on the emulator in order to see which
components are affected when making certain calls (e.g. strace worked
well for us).

If you are trying to port SELinux to Android, i have already seen some
some limited but successful attempt on a "rooted" G1.

BR,
Aubrey

Newbi

by shaunak saha » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 06:34:33 GMT

 Hi,

I m interested in linux layer.But still that document send by Alex was a
great help,as it gave a nice overview of the security framework in Java
layer in android.Thanks Alex for that.

This will be a good solution.It would be a great help if you tell me how to
add strace tool in android environment.

Wanted to try this also(maybe later after i get a bit clear understanding of
the present framework). Yeah, I also found some information about those
successful porting work in google.I wanted to try in emulator environment.

Thanks for your help.

Regrads,
Shaunak

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Andi Latte

Newbi

by Andi Latte » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:56:50 GMT

 i hope, this document can help you with this issue (esp. section 4):

 http://www.dai-labor.de/fileadmin/files/publications/lk2008-android_security.pdf

if there are any open questions, please dont hesitate to write an email.

BR,
Aubrey

Other Threads

1. Accessing @hide methods in the Android source code

Is there any way we can access methods annotated with a @hide without
changing the Android source code?

Can we use reflection to do that?

--

2. Samsung Galaxy S second

Halo , berhubung BU jadi jual koleksi dulu ah hehe ...

As subject jual Samsung Galaxy S
- Umur baru 2minggu lalu beli di singapore
- Kondisi mint like new
- Hp + charger + cable data + hf + dus + buku
- Rooted eclair 2.1

Bila berminat silakan japri saya di ary.ma...@ymail.com / 08122 1111 191 .

Thank's

Ary Malik

3. gadget android dgn cdma apa aja

4. Invoke services based on my permission.

5. realfootball di droid 2.1 ga bisa ?

6. kalau mo beli kindle edition atau bn e-book

7. How do i launch system clock from broadcast receiver?