Newbi

by shaunak saha » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:30:38 GMT

 Hi All,

I am a completely  newbie with the android platform and to explore and know
about the security framework in android. I have just
downloaded the source code,build and run the emulator in ubuntu.

I have been working in SELinux for last few months.
 http://code.google.com/android/devel/security.html i got that security here
is in process level,that every application runs in a sandboxed environment.I
have two questions(maybe they are too basic to ask,sorry for that)

1.Is there any security when some application wants to make a system call?
2.Which module in android source code is responsible for security
enforcement(want to know where to start with in order to know about android
security)?

Could anyone help me?

Regards,
Shaunak

Newbi

by Alex Stamos » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:02:47 GMT

 Shaunak-

My colleague, Jesse Burns wrote a very good overview of the Android security
model, which should cover most of your questions:

 http://www.isecpartners.com/files/iSEC_Securing_Android_Apps.pdf

Let me know if you have any more questions after reading this doc.

   -Alex

---------------------------
I am a completely newbie with the android platform and toexploreand know
about the security framework in android. I have just
downloaded the source code,build and run the emulator in ubuntu.

I have been working in SELinux for last few months.

1.Is there any security when some application wants to make a system call?
2.Which module in android source code is responsible for security
enforcement(want to know where to start with in order to know about android
security)?

Could anyone help me?

Regards,
Shaunak

Newbi

by Andi Latte » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:31:32 GMT

 Hi,

i guess you need to clarify your questions first. If your working on the
Java/Android layer, then the document of Alex might help you. If you are
interested in the linux layer, you might first add an appropriate tool
for following system calls on the emulator in order to see which
components are affected when making certain calls (e.g. strace worked
well for us).

If you are trying to port SELinux to Android, i have already seen some
some limited but successful attempt on a "rooted" G1.

BR,
Aubrey

Newbi

by shaunak saha » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 06:34:33 GMT

 Hi,

I m interested in linux layer.But still that document send by Alex was a
great help,as it gave a nice overview of the security framework in Java
layer in android.Thanks Alex for that.

This will be a good solution.It would be a great help if you tell me how to
add strace tool in android environment.

Wanted to try this also(maybe later after i get a bit clear understanding of
the present framework). Yeah, I also found some information about those
successful porting work in google.I wanted to try in emulator environment.

Thanks for your help.

Regrads,
Shaunak

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Andi Latte

Newbi

by Andi Latte » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:56:50 GMT

 i hope, this document can help you with this issue (esp. section 4):

 http://www.dai-labor.de/fileadmin/files/publications/lk2008-android_security.pdf

if there are any open questions, please dont hesitate to write an email.

BR,
Aubrey

Other Threads

1. Android Has a Bright Future.. But What Does This Mean for the G1?

I've just had cursory look at the Android roadmap and I look forward
to the potential changes that have been identified for the immediate
future.  For example, the use of multiple APN's is especially
important for users like me who can't currently send MMS's because my
carrier uses divergent APN settings for that.

Anyhow, what I'm curious to know is that as the Android platform
develops, in whatever capacity that may be, how long will these
updates be released on the G1 for?

Take this scenario, it's 2011 and android development is as strong as
ever.  Will my G1 still be receiving updates?  Who decides if the G1
will get future android updates?  Has any decisions been made yet?

The other pertinent question that I've thought of is will future
android development be compatible with the G1?  If so, will it always
been this way.

It's not like I expect new android updates for my G1 in 10 years
times, I'm just interested in how this is all going to work over the
maximum useful lifetime of the G1.

So does anyone have any insight in to this situation?

2. Is there a way to put horizontal and scroll bar both together?

Hi
i want to put horizontal and vertical scroll bar both on the same
page .I am able to put the vertical scroll bar ,using scroll view,but
i wanna to put horizontal scrol bar also.so please tell me how to do
it?

Thanks
dilu

3. Porting Dalvik to mips