Newbi

by shaunak saha » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:30:38 GMT

 Hi All,

I am a completely  newbie with the android platform and to explore and know
about the security framework in android. I have just
downloaded the source code,build and run the emulator in ubuntu.

I have been working in SELinux for last few months.
 http://code.google.com/android/devel/security.html i got that security here
is in process level,that every application runs in a sandboxed environment.I
have two questions(maybe they are too basic to ask,sorry for that)

1.Is there any security when some application wants to make a system call?
2.Which module in android source code is responsible for security
enforcement(want to know where to start with in order to know about android
security)?

Could anyone help me?

Regards,
Shaunak

Newbi

by Alex Stamos » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:02:47 GMT

 Shaunak-

My colleague, Jesse Burns wrote a very good overview of the Android security
model, which should cover most of your questions:

 http://www.isecpartners.com/files/iSEC_Securing_Android_Apps.pdf

Let me know if you have any more questions after reading this doc.

   -Alex

---------------------------
I am a completely newbie with the android platform and toexploreand know
about the security framework in android. I have just
downloaded the source code,build and run the emulator in ubuntu.

I have been working in SELinux for last few months.

1.Is there any security when some application wants to make a system call?
2.Which module in android source code is responsible for security
enforcement(want to know where to start with in order to know about android
security)?

Could anyone help me?

Regards,
Shaunak

Newbi

by Andi Latte » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:31:32 GMT

 Hi,

i guess you need to clarify your questions first. If your working on the
Java/Android layer, then the document of Alex might help you. If you are
interested in the linux layer, you might first add an appropriate tool
for following system calls on the emulator in order to see which
components are affected when making certain calls (e.g. strace worked
well for us).

If you are trying to port SELinux to Android, i have already seen some
some limited but successful attempt on a "rooted" G1.

BR,
Aubrey

Newbi

by shaunak saha » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 06:34:33 GMT

 Hi,

I m interested in linux layer.But still that document send by Alex was a
great help,as it gave a nice overview of the security framework in Java
layer in android.Thanks Alex for that.

This will be a good solution.It would be a great help if you tell me how to
add strace tool in android environment.

Wanted to try this also(maybe later after i get a bit clear understanding of
the present framework). Yeah, I also found some information about those
successful porting work in google.I wanted to try in emulator environment.

Thanks for your help.

Regrads,
Shaunak

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Andi Latte

Newbi

by Andi Latte » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:56:50 GMT

 i hope, this document can help you with this issue (esp. section 4):

 http://www.dai-labor.de/fileadmin/files/publications/lk2008-android_security.pdf

if there are any open questions, please dont hesitate to write an email.

BR,
Aubrey

Other Threads

1. Emulator on Ubuntu problem running after first time starting emulator

Hi all,

I've seen other posts on emulators, but none seem to match my issue.
Basically on a clean boot of my Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit system, I fire up
Eclipse, load my project, and run it in debug (or not) mode. Either way, the
emulator fires up, takes about 30 to 45 seconds to initialize, and my app
shows up. When I make some changes and rebuild my app, sometimes it reloads
properly. However, if I shut down the emulator at all, then relaunch it
fresh, I am constantly getting the following error in the console output:

emulator: ERROR: unexpected qemud char. channel close

Now, I run in DDMS perspective as well, and I see a bunch of threads start
up. I also see my app being deployed. Then slowly, all the threads including
the normal ones like Alarm clock, etc disappear. Then that error line shows
up. At this point, my app somehow shows up in the emulator (it's a google
maps app), and I have NOT had to press the menu key to get past the normal
lock screen. Not sure why when this thing crashes like this, I've not had to
use the lock screen menu press to see my app like I usually do.

I've not found any useful info on the specific error either.

Thank you for any help.

--

2. Background from PreferenceActivity is not applied to sub-PreferenceScreen

Hi,

I am testing my application on a Nexus One and i have some problems.
My theme is Light and when an sub PreferenceScreen is displayed, the
window background becomes black instead of keeping the
PreferenceActivity's one.

<PreferenceScreen android:title="main preferences">
    <PreferenceScreen android:title="sub screen">
    </PreferenceScreen>
</PreferenceScreen>

What is the problem?

Wouter

You can find my code here:

http://pastie.org/798564

--

3. how to open the new screen

4. View.getLocationInWindow() only returns Y (and sometimes not even X)

5. View.getLocationInWindow() only returns Y (and sometimes not even X)

6. What is the difference between rooted and Developer phone?

7. Possible Android 2.x Browser/WebView regression bug