Newbi

by shaunak saha » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:30:38 GMT

 Hi All,

I am a completely  newbie with the android platform and to explore and know
about the security framework in android. I have just
downloaded the source code,build and run the emulator in ubuntu.

I have been working in SELinux for last few months.
 http://code.google.com/android/devel/security.html i got that security here
is in process level,that every application runs in a sandboxed environment.I
have two questions(maybe they are too basic to ask,sorry for that)

1.Is there any security when some application wants to make a system call?
2.Which module in android source code is responsible for security
enforcement(want to know where to start with in order to know about android
security)?

Could anyone help me?

Regards,
Shaunak

Newbi

by Alex Stamos » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:02:47 GMT

 Shaunak-

My colleague, Jesse Burns wrote a very good overview of the Android security
model, which should cover most of your questions:

 http://www.isecpartners.com/files/iSEC_Securing_Android_Apps.pdf

Let me know if you have any more questions after reading this doc.

   -Alex

---------------------------
I am a completely newbie with the android platform and toexploreand know
about the security framework in android. I have just
downloaded the source code,build and run the emulator in ubuntu.

I have been working in SELinux for last few months.

1.Is there any security when some application wants to make a system call?
2.Which module in android source code is responsible for security
enforcement(want to know where to start with in order to know about android
security)?

Could anyone help me?

Regards,
Shaunak

Newbi

by Andi Latte » Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:31:32 GMT

 Hi,

i guess you need to clarify your questions first. If your working on the
Java/Android layer, then the document of Alex might help you. If you are
interested in the linux layer, you might first add an appropriate tool
for following system calls on the emulator in order to see which
components are affected when making certain calls (e.g. strace worked
well for us).

If you are trying to port SELinux to Android, i have already seen some
some limited but successful attempt on a "rooted" G1.

BR,
Aubrey

Newbi

by shaunak saha » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 06:34:33 GMT

 Hi,

I m interested in linux layer.But still that document send by Alex was a
great help,as it gave a nice overview of the security framework in Java
layer in android.Thanks Alex for that.

This will be a good solution.It would be a great help if you tell me how to
add strace tool in android environment.

Wanted to try this also(maybe later after i get a bit clear understanding of
the present framework). Yeah, I also found some information about those
successful porting work in google.I wanted to try in emulator environment.

Thanks for your help.

Regrads,
Shaunak

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Andi Latte

Newbi

by Andi Latte » Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:56:50 GMT

 i hope, this document can help you with this issue (esp. section 4):

 http://www.dai-labor.de/fileadmin/files/publications/lk2008-android_security.pdf

if there are any open questions, please dont hesitate to write an email.

BR,
Aubrey

Other Threads

1. Downloading Videos using Service but facing problem with respect to Wifi Connection

Hi All
 I am downloading encrypted  videos from server in my phone memory and
decrptying and moving the decrypted video to sdcard. I have the
following issues and doubts:

1.Is it good to use Service to handle downloading process of videos or
is there any other alternative?

2.I am downloding about 5 videos continuosly in a for loop in a
Service which will be started from my launcher Activity. The linear
downloading works fine but when there is some Wifi issue such as
network is down..then how can the user get notified and if the Wifi is
up again will the Service work again or it has to be started again?

3.Could any1 please tell how to show a Download progress bar in
android

--

2. Is SL4A a better tool to test android Applications

Hello Android Developers,
Currently i am using SL4A to test the existing Android Applications
like media player,Contacts,Calling etc. Is it the correct way to Test
the android apps. If no, please suggest me a better tool to test
android apps.

Thanks a ton in advance.
Shyam

--

3. XOOM #Androiddev questions at the MOTODEV Office Hours March 16th 2pm Pacific

4. Android news today

5. 2 Android phones vs BB

6. LG optimus one

7. Bluetooth Adapter.EXTRA DISCOVERABLE not obeyed