New phones are selling with FW 1.5?

by Keith Wiley » Mon, 11 May 2009 02:42:59 GMT

 Is this correct?  A user has reported this to me.  I was wondering
what the 1.5 public release date was since I haven't had a chance to
update my software for 1.5 yet.  I thought it would be end of May, but
people already have it apparently.

Furthermore, even if I download the 1.5 SDK, is there any way to test
my code on my phone with 1.5 before the 1.5 upgrade is pushed to my
phone...and when will that be anyway?

I was surprised to have a user report that his new G1 was using 1.5.
Does this not come as a surprise to others?

Thank you.

New phones are selling with FW 1.5?

by arnouf » Mon, 11 May 2009 03:15:51 GMT

 Hello,

Android 1.5 has been send to Dev Phone...
If you want install it on your G1, you can...but it's not really legal
because you have to pass your G1 in root mode and install a cupcake
version (you could find information with Google Search G1+cupacke
+root)
In France, we have a first model using Cupcake HTC Magic G2 and some
others country in Europe too.

Arnaud

New phones are selling with FW 1.5?

by Keith Wiley » Mon, 11 May 2009 03:53:16 GMT

 I don't think this guy was a developer.  I think he just bought a G1
with 1.5 on it.  Sigh.  Customers seem to be getting it on new phones
before the update is pushed to owners of existing phones.  That
doesn't make life easy for developers...unless I have missed
something.

New phones are selling with FW 1.5?

by Raphael » Mon, 11 May 2009 05:21:17 GMT

Which market/countries are you talking about?

R/

New phones are selling with FW 1.5?

by Keith Wiley » Mon, 11 May 2009 05:38:07 GMT

 I didn't ask him explicitly by email, but I found his transaction in
my purchase history and he's U.S.

New phones are selling with FW 1.5?

by Disconnect » Mon, 11 May 2009 08:49:00 GMT

 Legal? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

New phones are selling with FW 1.5?

by Al Sutton » Mon, 11 May 2009 14:26:07 GMT

 My UK G1 got cupcake a week or more ago.

If T-Mob are selling G1s in a region with 1.5 and they've not rolled it out to
the users I'd be going into the stores and asking the question of "How do I
make my 'phone get the new software?" and act *really* dumb by making out you
can't understand why if you can get the same 'phone from them now with the new
software why yours doesn't have it (say things like "So you're not interested
in servicing your existing customers, just getting new ones in the door?"),
then ask for the cost to swap yours for a new one (and if they say there will
be a cost go onto the "Is this some scam to trick more money out of existing
customers?" line), then ask to check how long your contract has to expire and
make statements like "If the 'phone I bought six months ago is already out of
date what's the point in getting another T-Mobile one when my contract is up
for renewal?".

If enough messages like this get fed back to regional and area managers the
message about rolling out updates in a timely manner should get through.

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

I don't think this guy was a developer.  I think he just bought a G1
with 1.5 on it.  Sigh.  Customers seem to be getting it on new phones
before the update is pushed to owners of existing phones.  That
doesn't make life easy for developers...unless I have missed
something.

1. Hey Mr or Ms Moderator...

Hi,

I have been attempting to operate within the android-developers and
android-beginners Groups.

I understand that new members are moderated, and completely agree with
the concept. But to date, NONE of my posts have appeared. Is this
normal?

I am a new developer (thus the groups I am trying to participate in)
and would *really* like to get active.

Anything you can do to hasten my acceptance would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks,
tony obrien

--

2. Share intent

I am trying to share camera images as well as text.

i.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_STREAM, uri);
i.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_TEXT, "The Text");
i.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_SUBJECT, "The Subject");

So far the image goes through just fine to anything I share with.
However the text and the subject are only picked up by the gmail application.
The messaging and the twitter apps don't see the text.

Any thoughts or is there nothing I can do in that case.

-Mike

--

3. Acne Treatement

4. How should USB OTG fit into android ?

5. Multiple versions of app with different package names

6. Pinch-zooming on maps gives no feedback

7. edittext not showing text in view on gallery