Fwd: Bionic Changes for android on solaris ?

by Nimit Manglick » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:12:17 GMT

 Can anyone please give me some pointers on it....?

David Turner,

Please give me some pointers on this analysis.....

Thanks & Regards
Nimit

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nimit Manglick <nimitandr...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM
Subject: Bionic Changes for android on solaris ?
To: android-porting@googlegroups.com
Cc: android-intern...@googlegroups.com

Hi Friends,

I am trying to do a study on replacing the OS beneath android from linux to
solaris, so i identified few areas where I need to do a lot of work, the
most important of all is Bionic libc.

I read through one of the mails where Digit has specified about *huge*
changes to the bionic libc, so I am digging into the libc right now to
identify the changes required in libc, I found that I need to replace the
existing linux headers with corresponding solaris headers, but that exercise
is getting more and more cumborsome as I am going into more details... so
first I have few questions regarding that :-

1. How linux headers are organised in libc ??
2. How the linux headers available in bionic/libc/kernel (these headers we
can upgrade also using some python scripts) are different from
bionic/libc/include ??

3. How to identify those linux headers which are getting used by libc
implementation (like which have system calls related stuff) and those linux
headers which are getting used by userland and generated by python scripts
??

4. What is the right approach to proceed further ??

Please help me with some pointers.

Thanks & Regards
Nimit

1. audio/video playing

Hello,
Does anyone know if we can play audio and/or video with Android? for
example, can i listen to online lectures, watch youtube using Android
browser, or write a program to download audio/video file, and play
them in an android application?
I tried to browse to some online lecture notes and youtube from
android web browser, but it was just freezing without doing any
thing.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Squid

2. How to make menu menu items opaque (not transparent) ?

Hi, does anyone know how to menu items opaque.

By default, the menu options are transparent and so the views (buttons
etc) below the menu options are still visible.

One option to fix the transparency issue is to make the underlying
button invisible.

However, is there a better way to make the menu options opaque ?

3. onCreateOptionsMenu - 6 menu items max?

4. Any generic logic for intent identification to be used by existing applications

5. Accessing bookmarks of the web browser

6. gallery - how to make it completely fill screen?

7. Playlists and genre