Refund on Books?

by carnivalcom...@gmail.com » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:06:24 GMT


Sponsored Links
 Why are there refunds allowed on books (whether they are digital comic
books or motion comic books or any other regular books)? This does not
seem fair since it can be downloaded, read and then refunded and yet
they still get to keep it and re-read it as many times as they want.
I think there should be a no refund on this sort of application.  We
have had several refunds on our motion comic book which has voice-over
and music to it. Some people have downloaded all four chapters and
then had them refunded.  But I'm sure they're still enjoying them any
time they want to.  I think it should be up to the developer as to
whether or not to allow refunds on their products. It would be known
to the buyer before they buy, that there is no refund.  Then it is up
to them if they want it or not.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by Stoyan Damov » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:00:40 GMT


 If a user requests a refund, the software (the book) is being
uninstalled automatically by the Market application.
This, however, won't stop a user read all short/comic books in the ~24
hour period and then request a refund.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:44 AM, carnivalcom...@gmail.com



--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~


Sponsored Links


Refund on Books?

by Jon Colverson » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:03:47 GMT


 On Mar 22, 10:44pm, "carnivalcom...@gmail.com"



When a buyer uses the refund button the app is automatically
uninstalled from the phone.

--
Jon

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by carnivalcom...@gmail.com » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:36:30 GMT


 Thanks for the answers.








--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by lbcoder » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:11:10 GMT


 You know, it actually seems quite inappropriate and exceedingly RUDE
to be selling that type of content in the APPLICATIONS market. Media/
books/other data != applications. It would be very nice if that crap
wouldn't be polluting the market. There is no reason that these things
should be marketed as applications. If you want to sell books, give
away or sell a READER APPLICATION that provides access to a
SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE. Sell or give away ONE reader application that
can subscribe to or buy MANY books/comics/whatever.

Note that this would also solve YOUR problem with refunds since YOUR
service is subject to YOUR TERMS.


On Mar 22, 10:36pm, "carnivalcom...@gmail.com"




--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by Eric Mill » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:41:31 GMT


 Hey, calm down. It's not the seller's fault that Google only gave them
the choice of Applications, or Games.  Neither is a good fit.

-- Eric







--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by madcoder » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:06:50 GMT


 My opinion is that it should be up to the developer for the refund
period, if any at all are offered.  For example, a developer could
market an app as refundable within x hours of installing, or not
refundable at all.  In the end, it's still up to the consumers to
decide to buy or not to buy.  Why is this such a bad concept?  If
someone buys an app, and it doesn't work, and the developer fails to
fix it, then call the credit card company and get it charged back.

If I think an app might be crap, then I'll wait for reviews, either in
the market or somewhere on the web.  People whine about the Apple App
store but it still manages a tremendous amount of sales.  To say that
each and every item can be returned before 24 (or 48) hours is
horrible.

Until Google/OHA changes this, there is probably going to be plenty of
people abusing the market.  And OHA members can look forward to VERY
weak Android Market sales profits.









--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by Incognito » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:10:58 GMT


 Android market could simply add a category for books or media. That would 
adress your complaint. This is how iphone does it.





You know, it actually seems quite inappropriate and exceedingly RUDE
to be selling that type of content in the APPLICATIONS market. Media/
books/other data != applications. It would be very nice if that crap
wouldn't be polluting the market. There is no reason that these things
should be marketed as applications. If you want to sell books, give
away or sell a READER APPLICATION that provides access to a
SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE. Sell or give away ONE reader application that
can subscribe to or buy MANY books/comics/whatever.

Note that this would also solve YOUR problem with refunds since YOUR
service is subject to YOUR TERMS.


On Mar 22, 10:36 pm, "carnivalcom...@gmail.com"


Thanks for the answers.




On Mar 22, 10:44 pm, "carnivalcom...@gmail.com"



Why are there refunds allowed onbooks(whether they are digital comic
booksor motion comicbooksor any other regularbooks)? This does not
seem fair since it can be downloaded, read and then refunded and yet
they still get to keep it and re-read it as many times as they want.

When a buyer uses therefundbutton the app is automatically
uninstalled from the phone.

--
Jon




      


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by originalman20 » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:03:33 GMT


 I don't respond to many of the posts here as I am not a developer or
technician of any kind. However, this particular post caught my attention. I
think both ideas stated previously would be sufficient.
1. User uploading a text reader application (for sale or not) and allow
users to buy books through there. Giving you control over refund rules. The
app would be something like the "textonphone" app.

2. Petitioning amongst other mobile book developers to have a books and
media category in the market. Unfortunately, you would still be subject to
the markets refund policies this way.

My 2 cents...






Android market could simply add a category for books or media. That would
adress your complaint. This is how iphone does it.



it actually seems quit...

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by lbcoder » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 05:57:36 GMT


 Eric:
Yes it is the seller's fault and I'll tell you why;
In order for this media crap to be sold correctly, the SINGLE PROGRAM
that they post should ITSELF provide the facility to buy/download/
install said media, which should be stored either on the sdcard or
within the private data space for that application.








--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by Eric Mill » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:31:25 GMT


 That's a good point, but I could see the advantage of Android's
built-in Google Checkout and refund system being too convenient to
turn down, rather than building one's own payment gateway for inside
your app.

That said, hopefully Google will introduce an in-app pay system down
the road, like Apple just announced for iPhone 3.0.  There's also
nothing stopping a 3rd party doing it, and by my memory at least one
has, but the name slips my mind.

-- Eric









--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by Eric Mill » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:35:06 GMT


 r, let's look at this from a consumer's point of view.  A 24 hour
refund policy is wonderful. Every single person I inform about the
refund policy is taken aback by how great it is.

If Google turns it into something publishers can opt in or out of,
then that's one more thing consumers have to think about while
purchasing apps, and many are not going to pay enough attention.
People are going to feel deceived if most of the apps are refundable,
but suddenly they buy a $10 app that is not.

I don't really care if this weakens Android Market sales margins. If
the Android is a big success, the sales margins are still going to be
high enough, and the # of potential customers high enough, that people
will continue making apps for them.

And by the way - I am a publisher, of a paid app (or I will be in a
few days, we're just setting up administrative details now), and this
is still my perspective.

-- Eric

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:06 AM, madcoder <paperga...@gmail.com> wrote:

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by Disconnect » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:52:53 GMT


 That would get you kicked out of the market.

Google decided nobody needed addons, subscriptions or anything other than
straight purchases. Anyone who does so is stealing from the carriers (or
google, in the case of the ADP1/holiday phones) and thats Not Allowed.

(Check the TOS)










--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by Paper Coder » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:15:34 GMT


 4 hours return periods are great for consumers, I'll agree one hundred
percent. It will likely draw more consumers to the platform and coerce them
to go through the trouble of signing up for Google Checkout.

In the end, however, I believe sales will suffer horribly, and the same
availability of content may not compare to the iPhone. In the end, Apple
may win based on the flood of developers that decide to stop making apps for
the Android if sales are too poor.

If you make an incredible app, that people need to use over and over, then
you can make money. If you make any form of entertainment that can be
completed within 24 hours, and the app has no reuse/replay value, then the
ability to make money may be severely limited. No matter how great the app
is. The return process is just toooooo easy and toooooo long.

Reusable/useful utilities will rule, games will not, IMO.

(Opposite of the iPhone)



On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Eric Mill <kproject...@gmail.com> wrote:


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Refund on Books?

by Incognito » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:32:29 GMT


 gree.

On Mar 23, 2009, at 8:34 PM, Eric Mill <kproject...@gmail.com> wrote:


Er, let's look at this from a consumer's point of view. A 24 hour
refund policy is wonderful. Every single person I inform about the
refund policy is taken aback by how great it is.

If Google turns it into something publishers can opt in or out of,
then that's one more thing consumers have to think about while
purchasing apps, and many are not going to pay enough attention.
People are going to feel deceived if most of the apps are refundable,
but suddenly they buy a $10 app that is not.

I don't really care if this weakens Android Market sales margins. If
the Android is a big success, the sales margins are still going to be
high enough, and the # of potential customers high enough, that people
will continue making apps for them.

And by the way - I am a publisher, of a paid app (or I will be in a
few days, we're just setting up administrative details now), and this
is still my perspective.

-- Eric

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:06 AM, madcoder <paperga...@gmail.com> wrote:

My opinion is that it should be up to the developer for the refund
period, if any at all are offered. For example, a developer could
market an app as refundable within x hours of installing, or not
refundable at all. In the end, it's still up to the consumers to
decide to buy or not to buy. Why is this such a bad concept? If
someone buys an app, and it doesn't work, and the developer fails to
fix it, then call the credit card company and get it charged back.

If I think an app might be crap, then I'll wait for reviews, either in
the market or somewhere on the web. People whine about the Apple App
store but it still manages a tremendous amount of sales. To say that
each and every item can be returned before 24 (or 48) hours is
horrible.

Until Google/OHA changes this, there is probably going to be plenty of
people abusing the market. And OHA members can look forward to VERY
weak Android Market sales profits.



On Mar 23, 11:41 am, Eric Mill <kproject...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey, calm down. It's not the seller's fault that Google only gave them
the choice of Applications, or Games. Neither is a good fit.

-- Eric

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:10 PM, lbcoder <lbco...@gmail.com> wrote:

You know, it actually seems quite inappropriate and exceedingly RUDE
to be selling that type of content in the APPLICATIONS market. Media/
books/other data != applications. It would be very nice if that crap
wouldn't be polluting the market. There is no reason that these things
should be marketed as applications. If you want to sell books, give
away or sell a READER APPLICATION that provides access to a
SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE. Sell or give away ONE reader application that
can subscribe to or buy MANY books/comics/whatever.

Note that this would also solve YOUR problem with refunds since YOUR
service is subject to YOUR TERMS.

On Mar 22, 10:36 pm, "carnivalcom...@gmail.com"
<carnivalcom...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

On Mar 22, 6:03 pm, Jon Colverson <jjc1...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mar 22, 10:44 pm, "carnivalcom...@gmail.com"

<carnivalcom...@gmail.com> wrote:
Why are there refunds allowed onbooks(whether they are digital comic
booksor motion comicbooksor any other regularbooks)? This does not
seem fair since it can be downloaded, read and then refunded and y



Other Threads

1. Issue in Booting Kernel from SD Card

Hi all,

When I power on the Zoom II, by default I get an u-boot prompt as
below

NAND OMAP34XX ZOOM2#

As I understand, SD Card is first detected and searched for MLO,u-
boot. If SD Card is not present, then boots from NAND.

But I am not able to boot Android kernel from SD Card.  It is booting
through NAND though SD Card is present.

I have a FAT32 (bootable) which has MLO, u-boot and uImage.
The bootcmd = 'mmcinit; fatload mmc 0 0x80c00000 uImage; bootm
0x80c00000'

What could have gone wrong?

Regards,
Priya


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
unsubscribe: android-porting+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
website: 

2. how to find out the percentage of memory used by each process in the android

I have the following follow-up question:
Even for small apks (single broadcast receiver, few lines of code),
top shows a few MB of memory usage. Is there a rule of thumb how much
of this is shared and how much is approximately due to the apk?

(I'm especially interested in the situation where there is one main
program that sends a broadcast to several apks. Would this scale well,
or would this quickly fill up the memory, even if the individual apks
are small (since all broadcast receivers would be called
concurrently)).

Peli





--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~

3. Camera preview on an OpenGL surface....

4. how to add the sd8686 wifi driver (libertas)into android source code for compling

5. How to log test results in a file? - logcat error

6. ListView (ExpandableListView as well) selector highlight problems with custom background

7. SQLite DROP Database