Getting build number/version programatically

by Mark K » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 05:19:04 GMT

 Does anyone know of a way to get the version/build number
programatically? I dug into Settings source code, it indicated that
this info could be read from the file /proc/socinfo, but this file
doesn't seem to exists on any of the devices I'm working with?!
Wondering where else I might be able to get this info. Thanks

                       mark

Getting build number/version programatically

by Mark Murphy » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 05:22:05 GMT

Check out android.os.Build and android.os.Build.VERSION.

Note that some of these values may be unusual in the emulator (e.g.,
null brand).

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
 http://commonsware.com

Getting build number/version programatically

by sm1 » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 07:50:04 GMT

 You could use *Device Internals for r1* which is free in Tools, and
scroll to section *android.os.Build*, it will list you the fields and
values that you can obtain from this class and you can pick the one
that suits your requirements. You can also see other classes that give
you other similar values.

serge

Getting build number/version programatically

by mark . kahrl » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:16:07 GMT

 Thanks for  that info, I guess that should have been intuitively
obvious to the casual observer........

Getting build number/version programatically

by mark . kahrl » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:17:01 GMT

 I need to do it programmatically, but thanks.

Getting build number/version programatically

by sm1 » Sat, 07 Mar 2009 07:54:21 GMT

 Here's a hint with some code:

    StringBuffer buf = new StringBuffer();
    buf.append("VERSION.RELEASE {"+Build.VERSION.RELEASE+"}");
    buf.append("\nVERSION.INCREMENTAL {"+Build.VERSION.INCREMENTAL
+"}");
    buf.append("\nVERSION.SDK {"+Build.VERSION.SDK+"}");
    buf.append("\nBOARD {"+Build.BOARD+"}");
    buf.append("\nBRAND {"+Build.BRAND+"}");
    buf.append("\nDEVICE {"+Build.DEVICE+"}");
    buf.append("\nFINGERPRINT {"+Build.FINGERPRINT+"}");
    buf.append("\nHOST {"+Build.HOST+"}");
    buf.append("\nID {"+Build.ID+"}");
    Log.d("build",buf);

serge

going to offer to help, you can send them the attachment off-list. Otherwise
you're just filling up other peoples' inboxs (and deleted items) folders
with larger amounts of spam. :-)

A VerifyError usually is only thrown when the .class file compiles
incorrectly-did you use the Android SDK to compile this, and did it compile
cleanly? Try an "ant clean install" to blow away the old code and rebuild
from scratch. Another possibility could be that the Android VM doesn't like
the version number of your .class file because you compiled it with a later
version of the Java compiler than it's enabled to recognize, though I build
with 1.6 regularly and don't have this problem, so it'd have to be a strange
compiler indeed.

In stock Java, the usual suspect for an exception thrown out of
Class.newInstance() is a missing default constructor, but your tryAndrojena
class looks fine (since it doesn't define any constructors, a default one
should be synthesized for you by the compiler.)

Are you sure that ModelFactory has all the dependencies that it needs?
Perhaps a class is failing to load inside ModelFactory, which then might be
getting caught somewhere and rethrown as a VerifyError.

This is all idle speculation-have you tried stepping through it in the
de{*filter*}?

Ted Neward

Java, .NET, XML Services

Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing