Traceview: trace file not found

by Graham Morehead » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 05:39:34 GMT

Sponsored Links
 In an attempt to debug my app, I was trying to use 'traceview' (one of
the apps in the the android SDK).  In the windows edition of the SDK
version 1.0, the executable is 'traceview.bat'.  I was able to get a
tracefile by using the 'android.os.Debug' package and using
Debug.startMethodTracing("basename"); and Debug.stopMethodTracing();
in my code.  I created a virtual sdcard for the emulator to use, and
then I ran the app on the emulator and was successful in creating a
trace file, which I pulled to a directory.  Here was my problem:
Whenever I tried to view the trace using 'traceview.bat', it said that
the file is not found.  This was hard to understand since I specified
the right directory.  I even went into that directory.  It still
couldn't find it.  I finally resolved it when I specified the whole
path using the notation  "C:/topdir/nextdir/... etc."  If you're not
familiar with Cygwin (a Unix shell for windows), you also have the
choice of specifying a path with "/cygdrive/c/topdir/...", but
'traceview' won't parse that.

Hope this helps someone.  It stalled me for hours.


Other Threads

1. Beware - Adsense and other ad networks may not be interested in your Android inventory

I got banned by Adsense.  But this is not the post you think it is.  I
am not going to complain about the balance I'll never be paid for, nor
suggest that Adsense is a bunch of crooks, etc.  I just want to bring
light to another difficulty in monetizing Android applications to help
others keep their accounts from getting banned.

I have an app in the market, Real Estate Droid, that, at points, open
up Webviews with relevant information pulled from web services
(currently mortgage rates and property values, soon to include many
others).  The pages loaded contain responses to queries made from
inside the app.  This was working out very well for me, because the
pages were highly targeted to a valuable niche, giving me a very
satisfactory eCPM on Adsense.

Adsense does not approve of something I have done in conjunction with
this.  It is impossible to tell what they have a problem with, because
it is their policy not to describe why an account is disabled.  It
could have been any of the following (or anything else I haven't
thought of):

1) I chose to use Adsense for Content for these pages, rather than
Adsense for Mobile, because the Android browser is fully capable of
rendering traditional Adsense ads.
2) I forgot to display a privacy policy, though I fixed that in the
course of my appeal.
3) They do not consider the content to be rich enough to warrant
showing Adsense on it. (I kept the result pages relatively sparse in
order to fit on a 480x320 screen with minimal scrolling).
4) G1 traffic seems to be piped through a limited number of proxies,
so my traffic looks like it comes from 100 sources instead of 100000,
and thus looks invalid.

This is very unfortunate for me.  No other ad networks that I've found
(and I've looked into a LOT) offer the level of targeting or potential
revenue per click levels offered by Adsense, so my strategy of going
after a higher value/lower volume market is shot.  This also means
that I probably won't be able to take advantage of any Adsense Android
SDK that may be released in the future.

Another developer that I've been speaking to has used a somewhat
similar strategy for monetizing his free app - the high score page is
a web page that displays ads.  He's already been banned by 2 other ad
networks (with no explanation, of course).

So if I plan to do anything ad-supported on Android, I'm going to have
to go back to the model that has worked (well, at least somewhat) for
me so far - untargeted, high-volume stuff like my slot machine
application, using an Android SDK like Admob or Mojiva.

Or more likely, I'll port what I have already to iPhone and see if I
can accomplish something there.  iPhone seems to have much more mature
infrastructure for monetizing with ads, and fewer roadblocks (read:
Google Checkout) to users buying apps.  I'm not going to walk off in a
huff and swear never to come back (I'd be throwing away way too much
accumulated technical and domain expertise) but my hopes are growing

I wish you all continued luck in the request to entertain/inform some
mobile users and make a few bucks in the process.

2. in case of building adb composite gadget dynamically

Hi all,

    I meet a question when I compiled the android composite usb driver
statically in linux2.6.28.
I found the ADB function work well, but USB Mass Storage don't work, I
had modified the VIP/PID with
0x18d1/0xdeed which meaning ADB sooner compiste driver. And I found a
new item appear in windows devices management, it is ADB Interface/
Composite sooner ADB interface , under generic serial controller, two
new items appear, one is Composite driver device, it is okay, but
another is USB mass storage is fail, errno code is 10.

  Could any one can give me hint!

My cpu is pxa3xx, it run under linux2.6.28.


website:  http://www.***.com/ 

3. A few questions about DR

4. has leaked service connection in activity that was originally bound here

5. Android Icebergs Ahead

6. Updating cupcake Images to Android Developer Phone

7. Are we going to see a cupcake update to the G1