Converting paid app to free and back

by Edward Falk » Wed, 13 May 2009 09:19:47 GMT

 I created a paid app, which I flipped to free for beta testing.  Now I
discover that I can't flip it back.

This is really annoying.  I'd be perfectly happy to have the first
hundred people who downloaded my app keep it forever, even with
upgrades.  Now I find that my only choice is to delete the app
completely, and re-release it under a new name, losing the feedback
and comments I accumulated during the beta.

Plus, now that I have to unpublish the beta version, how am I to
support my beta users?

This is stupid.  There's no reason not to switch a free app to paid as
long as the people who got it for free aren't being screwed.  Would I
be prevented from changing the price to $.01 and back?

Google, if you're listening, please fix this.

Converting paid app to free and back

by Streets Of Boston » Wed, 13 May 2009 10:45:08 GMT

 You can't charge lower than $0.99

The reason behind not being able to convert from free to paid app is
to prevent gaming the ratings.

E.g. suppose you upload an app for free. You'll get tons of downloads
and relatively good comments, since your app is free (people tend to
be more forgiving for free stuff). Then, after a while, you make you
app a paid app. You will be on top of every other paid app, because
your ratings and number of downloads are waaay higher than the other
paid apps. This is not fair...

Of course, everyone else then could do the same; flip from a free app
to a paid app.
But this just starts a 'rating gaming' race.

So, i think it's a good idea you cannot convert from free to paid
while retaining your ratings and number of downloads.

However, it would be great if developers could offer a free version
that only allows comments: No ratings, no number of downloads.
Something like a jumping ground for beta-versions and allowing devs to
easily share their apps to be tested in the field.

Converting paid app to free and back

by Edward Falk » Wed, 13 May 2009 14:13:45 GMT

 OK, fair enough.  We don't want to game the ratings, and that wasn't
my desire.

All I wanted to do was make it free for my beta testers, since I
didn't feel that it was fair to charge them for testing my software
for me.

Is there any way to do this, or is just standard procedure to release
untested software on the market?

Is there any way to give away a paid app?  What if I wanted to have a
contest -- tenth caller gets a free copy of my app.  That sort of
thing.

Converting paid app to free and back

by mike quinn » Wed, 13 May 2009 14:16:28 GMT

 How about allowing beta testers to download your apk from a website and not
through the market. Only once ready for release put it on the market.

OK, fair enough.  We don't want to game the ratings, and that wasn't
my desire.

All I wanted to do was make it free for my beta testers, since I
didn't feel that it was fair to charge them for testing my software
for me.

Is there any way to do this, or is just standard procedure to release
untested software on the market?

Is there any way to give away a paid app?  What if I wanted to have a
contest -- tenth caller gets a free copy of my app.  That sort of
thing.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this
message because you are subs...

Converting paid app to free and back

by Disconnect » Wed, 13 May 2009 20:01:01 GMT

 Unfortunately, there is no good answer - giving the beta apks away works (if
you trust the testers not to redistribute) but they don't get updates. And
there is no way to give free copies out of market (eg coupons), so if you
want your testers to get updates you need to provide them with apks for each
new version. (And that is completely unsecured.)

Converting paid app to free and back

by Al Sutton » Wed, 13 May 2009 20:11:38 GMT

  http://www.tomgibara.com/android/veecheck/

Using that will allow your users to get notified of updates and download them
accordingly.

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.
Unfortunately, there is no good answer - giving the beta apks away works (if
you trust the testers not to redistribute) but they don't get updates. And
there is no way to give free copies out of market (eg coupons), so if you want
your testers to get updates you need to provide them with apks for each new
version. (And that is completely unsecured.)
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:16 AM, mike quinn

How about allowing beta testers to download your apk from a website and not
through the market. Only once ready for release put it on the market.
On May 13, 2009 7:13 AM, "Edward Falk"

OK, fair enough.  We don't want to game the ratings, and that wasn't
my desire.

All I wanted to do was make it free for my beta testers, since I
didn't feel that it was fair to charge them for testing my software
for me.

Is there any way to do this, or is just standard procedure to release
untested software on the market?

Is there any way to give away a paid app?  What if I wanted to have a
contest -- tenth caller gets a free copy of my app.  That sort of
thing.

Converting paid app to free and back

by Sena Gbeckor-Kove » Wed, 13 May 2009 21:05:37 GMT

 You might also want to implement license keys to make redistributing
the APK's pointless. MAy also help with people who ask for refunds but
have already ripped the file off the phone.

Converting paid app to free and back

by Filipe Abrantes » Wed, 13 May 2009 21:54:22 GMT

 for beta testing, I would recommend you go to the forums (android
community, xda-dev, etc) put the apk online on your website and announce
it there... my experience tells me that people there are eager to
experiment and are really helpful.

cheers,
Filipe
 http://abrantix.org/rockon.php

Converting paid app to free and back

by Streets Of Boston » Wed, 13 May 2009 22:11:42 GMT

 Good idea, but be careful, though.
I you do that, your app may appear on warez sites very quickly.

1. Order of insert

I am wondering how can I insert an element at the beginning of the
data base? I want to do this because:
a) I want to display the elements (ListView) as 'last-inserted on top
and first-inserted on the bottom' (like a stack)
b) I want to limit the amount of elements in my db. When a new element
is added (over the limit) I can put the new one (at the beginning) and
delete the last one. (Don't know yet how to delete the last element).

I was searching for a solution but I am starting to wonder I have any
control of how the element are inserted. If not I was thinking about
displaying the database from end to bottom. But don't actually know
how to do it since the cursor is always set at the beginning of the
db. If could achieve this I can solve b) by deleting the first element
(again don't know how to achieve this yet).

--

2. Accessing AudioManager within a class which extends BroadcastReceiver

I am using an AlarmManager to trigger the following class so it will
change the volume from say high to low:

package com.test;

import android.content.BroadcastReceiver;
import android.content.Context;
import android.content.Intent;
import android.media.AudioManager;

public class ToRing extends BroadcastReceiver {
        @Override
        public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent) {
                AudioManager am = (AudioManager)getSystemService(AUDIO_SERVICE);

It is saying that AUDIO_SERVICE cannot be resolved to a constant or
variable.  How can I access the audio service from within the
broadcast receiver?

--

3. Exchanging data between apps

4. Package name problem during apk installation

5. setFilterQueryProvider not working - Please help

6. Review Singkat Hands On Motorola Droid Pro

7. Media framework in gingerbread