soft keyboard selection from app?

by ddum...@gmail.com » Wed, 14 Jul 2010 04:19:43 GMT

 So Sony appears to have included their own IME with their xperia
phones.

I have an edit box for numerical input that i have specified as number|
numberDecimal|phone
It allows for easy number entry and allows users to enter in decimal
numbers.   However the IME in the xperia phones is missing the decimal
key.
Is there a way to specify it should only be using the android IME?

Can I specify resources for specific phones similar to how I can
control resources for versions of android?

--

soft keyboard selection from app?

by jamesc » Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:50:37 GMT

 Hi

I had issues with the X10s IME in that it ignored particular IME flags
( http://developer.sonyericsson.com/wportal/devworld/forum?
cc=gb&lc=en).  You might be suffering from a similar issue.  I suggest
that you post to the SE forum and ask them directly (they confirmed my
findings).

Off the top of my head (I've not got the code in front of me at the
moment) I did find that I got the (my) required behaviour by passing
in Type_NULL (or something like that) into the IME configuration
method.  So, you *may* want to play about with the arguments and see
what comes out.  This, however, then leads to the issue that you've
got different config flags for different IMEs, and as far as I know,
you cannot determine which IME is actually in use.  You can, however,
find out which IMEs are present on the device, so you could apply some
sort of workaround if the device is an SE device (but that may affect
users of the standard Android IME on the SE phone...).

I'm not sure that you can enforce the use of the standard Android IME
because that's the responsibility of the user/security issue (also, it
might be a bit 'odd' when the IME is different to what they're
currently using).  I suppose you could show the IME picker and also
tell the user why you're doing that (but, again, that's not the best
solution).

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

One last thing, you might want to get hold of Swype and Swiftkey to
try those IMEs out too...

soft keyboard selection from app?

by Dan Dumont » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 02:50:01 GMT

 My wife's phone has swipe built in and the phone keypad has all the buttons
I need.

I emailed SE and they seem pretty clueless so far, I've followed up asking
them to direct me to their android development staff, because their android
page just points users to general android help.  And their emulator setup
does not include their IME...       not fun...

I can understand why Android would want to make the IME a system wide
setting, but I'm surprised there's no permission that I can declare for my
app to set the default IME to the default android one.   Does this not
exist?

soft keyboard selection from app?

by jamesc » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:40:28 GMT

 s per:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/inputmethod/InputMethodManager.html
:

"A client application can ask that the system let the user pick a new
IME, but can not programmatically switch to one itself."

My point about Swype and Swiftkey is that they may also not handle
your flags correctly. Unlikely, though, as they appear, from my
experience, to be well behaved.

I agree with your comments on IMEs; it is potentially a massive
headache and it'll be the app writers that bear the brunt of the
complaints from users when their favourite (obscure? incorrectly
written?) IME disobeys expected behaviour.

Have you tried my suggestions of tinkering with the flags on the
Xperia device to see what happens?