Final SDK build available (84853) deadline extended to Tuesday, August 5

by YA » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:05:37 GMT

 Just got this message --

ADC Entrants,

We're pleased to announce that SDK build 84853 is now available on
your private download site. This will be the last build released for
ADC Round 2 and is the build that you will need to submit your final
application under.

In addition, the final ADC deadline has been extended to Tuesday,
August 5. This is the final ADC deadline.

Thanks!
Android Developer Challenge Team

-- but where is this private download site? Anyone has a link?

Final SDK build available (84853) deadline extended to Tuesday, August 5

by Seni Sangrujee » Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:16:55 GMT

 LOL, I got excited when I saw this email, but I'm guessing it was
mistakenly sent to losers. Unless now they're just taunting us for
sport.

-seni

Final SDK build available (84853) deadline extended to Tuesday, August 5

by plusminus » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:59:58 GMT

 xD

Final SDK build available (84853) deadline extended to Tuesday, August 5

by plusminus » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:01:43 GMT

 but it says "entrants" not "finalists". Anyway it still looks like an
mistake, as I also cannot guess what they mean with "private download
site".

Final SDK build available (84853) deadline extended to Tuesday, August 5

by Ken Adair » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:07:29 GMT

 Got the same email, talk about adding fuel to the fire...

Final SDK build available (84853) deadline extended to Tuesday, August 5

by Ken Adair » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:14:13 GMT

 Wonder how many of us would have actually gotten behind Android if we
knew that they were going to only cater to the top 50. Definitely feel
betrayed....

Final SDK build available (84853) deadline extended to Tuesday, August 5

by Gies,Brad » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:58:38 GMT

  don't think it's anything to worry about, and probably a good thing in the
long run. Google has selected a small group of very committed Android
developers to help them test the SDK and get it to a final release.

Obviously the people in the top 50 of the Challenge are those that have really
figured out Android, and their feedback will be much more valuable than the
feedback from the community at large. Narrowing the group down to them until
the final release helps to focus resources.

Personally, I have focused on design of my app, and not coding until I see the
final release, so it fits in with my plans perfectly :). Anyone doing coding
now has to expect to redo their code with every release they want their app to
run on, and I don't have the time to do that anyway.

Sincerely,

Brad Gies
-------------------------------------
NLM Software
Southfield, MI, USA
-------------------------------------

If you get today's work done today, but do it in a way that you can't possibly
get tomorrow's work done tomorrow, then you lose.

This e-mail or communication, including any attachments, is intended only for
the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged
material. Any review,
reliance upon, this
prohibited. If you received
this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and permanently
delete all copies,
electronic or other, you may have or from your computer. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution,
reliance or use of the contents or information received in error is strictly
prohibited.
The foregoing applies even if this notice is imbedded in a message that is
forwarded or attached.

Final SDK build available (84853) deadline extended to Tuesday, August 5

by Ken Adair » Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:20:18 GMT

  agree that those in the top 50 will add some very beneficial
feedback. However, I think it's silly to think those top 50 have some
superior understanding of Android. I have seen a few other
applications that didn't make it into the top 50 that were much more
complex and entertaining to boot. We don't know why Google selected
the winners they did. I'm sure there were underlying business concerns
involved and not just the complexity or quality of an application.
Obviously the winners have a leg up now and I'm sure they know much
more than the rest of us, but that's all because of Google.

Anyways, I don't think the biggest issue here is who has and doesn't
have access to the SDK. I think the main issue here is communication
or lack there of. Google embraced the development community and touted
how they were going to build this platform with the help of the
development community. Somewhere along the lines this "seemed" to
change. I say seemed because this could have always been part of
Google's strategy.

The problem is they have failed to nurture the relationship with the
development community. They have cut them off from the information
that was once flowing and left them to speculate and wonder. In
response, you are seeing many that feel cheated and betrayed. Google
can fix this before it's too late, but they need to act quickly. It's
ALL about communication.