by Bobbie » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:49:17 GMT

 I have a couple different questions:

1) Does Google think there will only be one screen size on Android
phones?  The reason I ask is because I haven't been able to find
anything on "variable" layouts in Android?  I would like to create a
layout with 2 webviews, one 80% of screen height and the other 20%.
Is this even possible, or do I need to assign the height of each as a
static "px" value?

2) How do I preserve the data in my views when someone switches
between landscape and portrait?  I doubt it's hard, but I've not been
able to find it.  Can someone post an example?

Thanks everyone!

by Romain Guy » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:05:13 GMT

 > 1) Does Google think there will only be one screen size on Android

No.

All layouts are variable.

That's what wrap_content, fill_parent, weight and in some measure the
dip unit are for.

It's done automatically for all the views with an id.

--
Romain Guy
Android framework engineer

to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on

by Marco Schmitz » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:11:38 GMT

 try to create a folder "layout-land" and "layout-port" next to "layout".

just place main.xml inside both folders but not inside "layout".

swapping the layout (numlock+7 inside the emulator) will show you the
best fitting xml file.

greetings,
darolla