Licensing an Android application programatically.

by aayush » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:25:32 GMT

 Hello list..

I had a query:

If i wish to attach an evaluation license to my android application,
how can that be achieved ? As for example, i may want to provide an
evaluation license based application that expires in one of the
following ways:

1. Time based (30 days etc)

2. Usage based ( 100 invocations of the application).

Once the application's license expires, i need to restrict access to
it from the user.

Thanks in advance..

Best Regards

aayush

Licensing an Android application programatically.

by aayush » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:50:24 GMT

 okay..thanks for the answer Marc.

For #1 i believe i need to create my own certificate by using the
keytool utility and sign it as you suggest.

Time based is my only requirement..as of now. Usage based is not a
priority for me.

aayush

Licensing an Android application programatically.

by mobilekid » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:09:35 GMT

 I would do the same.

Get the android ID like this:

String android_id = android.provider.Settings.System.getString
(this.getContentResolver(),
android.provider.Settings.System.ANDROID_ID);

Then send it to your back-end and query the number of times you've
made the same call or the date you firstly made a call against the
unique ID.

Hope it helps!

On Jun 3, 11:02am, Sujay Krishna Suresh <sujay.coold...@gmail.com>

Licensing an Android application programatically.

by aayush » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 19:44:09 GMT

 hanks so much for the detailed suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Basically, the web based alternative will require the users of the
application to run it with an internet connection. My app is a telco
application, usually tested in an isolated lab environment on a
private LAN.

Performance may be an issue, as you guys correctly pointed out..but
for an evaluation copy..it may be acceptable. For the real production
ready (paid app), i wont use such a license.

But still, i want to understand the performance penalty on using a
client side licence solution. Is it that heavy that it will impair the
performance of my app?

if i remember correctly, i think the android app certificate needs to
be assigned a validity date..and it can be password protected. Maybe
it can be utilized for my needs?

aayush