How to find out the cause of a configuration change

by michael.bollm...@googlemail.com » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:47:27 GMT

 I got different situations where my activities onSaveInstanceState
method
gets called but i can't distinguish between them.
Some of them result in automatic recreation others do not so i have to
react different
especially because my activity is not created by user action.

thanks in advance

1. virtual keyboard input focus with webviews

To tackle the flip side of what Mark is saying, just to give you
another way to get it: 'new XX()' is NOT implementing a constructor --
it is calling one, but it does not implement one.'

Mark missed a point though -- a constructor without a call to super()
will always call the default super().

You can verify that by defining a class with just a private
constructor

A.java:
class A {
  private A() {}
}

class B extends A {
   B() { }
}
---

c:\temp\A.java:6: A() has private access in A
    B() {}
                ^
1 error

You get the same result, in fact, if you take out B's constructor,
because if you don't supply any constructor at all, Java will define a
no-arg constructor for you.

Still, Mark's point #1 is valid. A do-nothing constructor is just an
invitation to later become a do-something constructor. Since Java will
supply a do-nothing constructor for you, just take it out and let it
do so.

Mark has already demonstrate that it being there will confuse
someone!  :=)

Mark: "In fact, I'm kinda surprised the activity survives not having
the activity's constructor called."

That's because Activity's constructor IS being called, as demonstrated
above.

I might hypothesize you've programmed in C++ at some point in the
distant past.... :=)

--

2. Fwd: WTA: Nexus One