Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Sean Hodges » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 22:40:31 GMT


Sponsored Links
 >From my experience, auto filters have limited effectiveness, though
definitely better than nothing at all.

Ideally, there would be a "Report Abuse" button that acts similar to
the spam feature, and in both cases if a Google account is reported a
number of times it is reviewed by market support for inappropriate
activity (I'm not sure if this is already the case for the spam
feature).

If a malicious user starts picking on another by reporting all their
comments, the data from this can be used to review the reporter's
account instead... People abusing the system should get a warning
followed by a ban on the market, or some similar course of action.

Of course, if this is too much to implement, an auto-filter should
definitely be considered as an alternative. There are lots of reports
requesting this in the market forum.



On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:29 PM, admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com




--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Ivan Soto » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 22:47:24 GMT


 And yet no word from Google. Although, I can say that I've seen some kind of
moderation. (I guess)
I haven't seen a lot of comments like

"your app rocks. 5 starss... contact me lolit...@randommail.com"

Which was a big issue before. Still, it needs a lot of improvement.



Ivan Soto Fernandez
Web Developer
 http://ivansotof.com 








--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~


Sponsored Links


Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Eric Mill » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 00:04:05 GMT


 've written on this list a couple times about the deplorable state of
Android Market comment threads. It has gotten better than it used to
be, though, I think the "Report as Spam" option has made an impact.

You're not going to get people to change the way they express
themselves about how they feel about your app, though. YouTube has
played with their comment system numerous times, but the comment
threads are still a gutter. It's just the audience and the culture.
Blocking out basic curse words just goads people to get around the
filter.

Like I said though, I think it's improved, I'm not seeing the same
level of vindictiveness and bile that was there in the winter. It's
just going to take some more time, and it's going to have to come from
the community.

-- Eric

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Ivan Soto <ivanso...@gmail.com> wrote:

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Ivan Soto » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 00:53:02 GMT


 e really need something like 'Report abuse" or "Inaccurate"

I try a lot of applications that run perfectly but I bet some people with a
lot of background applications running will obviously have problems with the
Force Close thing, they usually just go to the market and give 1star for
that.

I would love to report that as inaccurate, because that is just not spam.

Ivan Soto Fernandez
Web Developer
http://ivansotof.com



On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Eric Mill <kproject...@gmail.com> wrote:


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Ivan Soto » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 01:14:10 GMT


 Well, don't completely trust Cyrket.
And as a side note, try not to release any application/game not tested on a
device. They do behave different. :)


Ivan Soto Fernandez
Web Developer
 http://ivansotof.com 








--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Mattaku Betsujin » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:51:00 GMT


  think a lot of the comments are junk. However, I think the Force Close
ones are real. On Android, the foreground app shouldn't be FC'ed if there
are lots of background activities.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Ivan Soto <ivanso...@gmail.com> wrote:


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Mattaku Betsujin » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:53:26 GMT


 lso, what I want is a way to for the author of the app to contact the
commenters to try to address the issue. I get quite a few mysterious "your
app don't work" message without any specificity. I actually want to ask the
poor guy/gal what the issue is so that I can fix it.

I'd think, if someone bothers to post a negative comment about your app,
maybe they really have a valid point.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Mattaku Betsujin <mattaku.betsu...@gmail.com


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Sean Hodges » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:53:09 GMT


 You're right, people are entitled to swear when they like, just as they are
entitled to sneeze without covering their nose.

Profanity regulations on comment systems are like the sneeze guards at salad
counters.





Am Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:51:36 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb mask <mascula...@gmail.com>:

What's wrong with curse words? The highly unfunny "protect the kids"
bullshit (curse word!!! cover your eyes!!!) does not have
anything to do with protecting kids.

One of the things that I remember from my time as a kid is, when I
learned German in kindergarten, that this started by learning a fair
share of curse words; nothing as cruel as some kids working their
frustration on the new kids on the block so to say.

Hint: kids don't go insane when they hear curse words. Nor do they run
amok because they play some "killing game" on their Xbox. Nor do kids
go crazy when you let them surf the unfiltered Internet. (Hint: a
sensible configured ad/javascript filter makes the risk that a kid see
something indecent rather small, and that's what parents are for, to
explain and show guidance.)

Sorry, but this crusade to scrub the Internet clean of anything
somebody might object too is only dangerous, as it places
infrastructure in place so that governments can censure what they do
not like. But guess the civil rights of 300 millions citizens are way
less important than the potential that some child might get hurt.
Wonder if that is so, why do the same governments send our military
forces into war zones? (I mean, some of these are teenagers, some are
fathers, all are sons, some are brothers, husbands. Guess their lives
are not that important.)

Sorry, but this "political correctness" thing raises my blood pressure
rather rapidly.

And no, I do not condone using bad language and all the other bad
things, but I condone even less people trying to filter and censure
that bad behaviour.

Andreas

feedback. The issue is with ...

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Stoyan Damov » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 05:20:39 GMT


 o, most are NOT. People, for @#$%'s sake, you've GOT to trust me on
that. I've downloaded an e-book the other day. I read it (it's a short
story), and the next day I got an update. I installed it curious to
see what was updated (was the reader itself). I ran it. It crashed
IMMEDIATELY after launch before showing any UI. I then uninstalled it,
and re-installed it, and it started and worked flawlessly.

I'm betting my ass that when Android updates an application it @#$%s
up something, e.g. permissions (damn me for NOT launching Eclipse when
this happened to see what exactly was the crash) and the app would
F/C. After a reinstall, everything works just fine.

What I described is what can be seen on MANY (and list is growing)
number of applications' descriptions on Android Market (that is
"please, uninstall before update").

I *do* believe people make bugs (and so do I), and that there are some
very poorly developed apps on Market, but this *particular* crash
immediately after an update is a Google bug. I know it. I KNOW it. I
@#$%ING KNOW IT!

I'm just waiting for it to happen again with another app, and me
having Eclipse around.

Cheers

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Mattaku Betsujin
<mattaku.betsu...@gmail.com> wrote:

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Incognito » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 05:32:53 GMT


 aybe you can install the original if you can get it then attempt to install 
the update and see if that helps. Or just put one test app in the market,
download it. Then update app in market and see if you can reproduce the
problem.

On Apr 9, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Stoyan Damov <stoyan.da...@gmail.com> wrote:


No, most are NOT. People, for @#$%'s sake, you've GOT to trust me on
that. I've downloaded an e-book the other day. I read it (it's a short
story), and the next day I got an update. I installed it curious to
see what was updated (was the reader itself). I ran it. It crashed
IMMEDIATELY after launch before showing any UI. I then uninstalled it,
and re-installed it, and it started and worked flawlessly.

I'm betting my ass that when Android updates an application it @#$%s
up something, e.g. permissions (damn me for NOT launching Eclipse when
this happened to see what exactly was the crash) and the app would
F/C. After a reinstall, everything works just fine.

What I described is what can be seen on MANY (and list is growing)
number of applications' descriptions on Android Market (that is
"please, uninstall before update").

I *do* believe people make bugs (and so do I), and that there are some
very poorly developed apps on Market, but this *particular* crash
immediately after an update is a Google bug. I know it. I KNOW it. I
@#$%ING KNOW IT!

I'm just waiting for it to happen again with another app, and me
having Eclipse around.

Cheers

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Mattaku Betsujin
<mattaku.betsu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think a lot of the comments are junk. However, I think the Force Close
ones are real. On Android, the foreground app shouldn't be FC'ed if there
are lots of background activities.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Ivan Soto <ivanso...@gmail.com> wrote:

We really need something like 'Report abuse" or "Inaccurate"
I try a lot of applications that run perfectly but I bet some people with
a lot of background applications running will obviously have problems with
the Force Close thing, they usually just go to the market and give 1star for
that.
I would love to report that as inaccurate, because that is just not spam.
Ivan Soto Fernandez
Web Developer
http://ivansotof.com



On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Eric Mill <kproject...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've written on this list a couple times about the deplorable state of
Android Market comment threads. It has gotten better than it used to
be, though, I think the "Report as Spam" option has made an impact.

You're not going to get people to change the way they express
themselves about how they feel about your app, though. YouTube has
played with their comment system numerous times, but the comment
threads are still a gutter. It's just the audience and the culture.
Blocking out basic curse words just goads people to get around the
filter.

Like I said though, I think it's improved, I'm not seeing the same
level of vindictiveness and bile that was there in the winter. It's
just going to take some more time, and it's going to have to come from
the community.

-- Eric

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Ivan Soto <ivanso...@gmail.com> wrote:
And yet no word from Google. Although, I can say that I've seen some
kind of
moderation. (I guess)
I haven't seen a lot of comments like
"your app rocks. 5 starss... contact me lolit...@rando



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Andreas Kostyrka » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 05:38:50 GMT


 m Fri, 10 Apr 2009 00:20:26 +0300
schrieb Stoyan Damov <stoyan.da...@gmail.com>:

You don't need eclipse.

adb can show log itself, and even nicer, Log Collector in the Market
seems to be a "carry-at-all-times" solution to that problem.

But yes, there have been a number of curious bugs, e.g. jjReader had
some issues where Market claimed to be unable to upgrade due a
nonspecified signature problem, but after uninstall & install it worked
perfectly.

Andreas


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Stoyan Damov » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 05:42:57 GMT


 've had F/C reports from *some* users a few months ago.
I did try to reproduce it on my phone several times -- tough luck - I couldn't.
But then, *many* other users who upgraded didn't report F/Cs.
The free version of my game had ~8K downloads when I removed it, and
only a few comments for F/C on startup (and some "force closes all the
time", which is probably "f/c every time I start it").
You can imagine that I couldn't do ANYTHING and just left it as is.
New users rated the game high, and posted good comments. That is, they
didn't experience any F/Cs, so I couldn't have a bug on startup, could
I?
Some upgraders ranted, others didn't. Go figure, huh? Not exactly.
I've figured it out for myself.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Incognito <androind...@yahoo.com> wrote:

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Stoyan Damov » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 05:52:12 GMT


 


Right, well I meant that I had to view the log which I didn't.


Right. Well, at this time, I'm more or less burnt so I could care less
if nobody believes me about the F/C-after-update bug. Especially when
Google are so strongly supported by so many zealots who think Google
devs can't make bugs and it's all the developers' fault.

Cheers

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Mattaku Betsujin » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:59:17 GMT


 rofanity and guns are the two pillars of American freedom. How dare you
Brits take that away from us!

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Al Sutton <a...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~



Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Al Sutton » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:03:32 GMT


  think you first told us to f off about things like that in the late 1700s
:).

We don't want to take them totally away, just suggest where and how you
should use them in order to take into account the views of others.

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at http://andappstore.com/ *

======
Funky Android Limited is registered in England & Wales with the
company number 6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX, UK.

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's
subsidiaries.





_____

From: android-discuss@googlegroups.com
[mailto:android-disc...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Mattaku Betsujin
Sent: 10 April 2009 07:59
To: android-discuss@googlegroups.com
Subject: [android-discuss] Re: Unacceptable and abusive comments needs
immediate solution from Google


Profanity and guns are the two pillars of American freedom. How dare you
Brits take that away from us!


On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Al Sutton <a...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:



Pd,

Many countries prevent total freedom speech in law. Even in the UK (where
market is fully operational) there are several laws which prevent
defamation, slander, racial hatred comments, etc.

Someone has to set what's considered acceptable by the masses, and if you
choose to ignore that in private conversation that's one thing, but as we're
discussing a worldwide public forum which I see as a different problem. I'm
sure many journalists let loose with the odd profanity now and again, but
you see very few (if any) of them do it when they're broadcasting.

I would *never* dream of telling you what to say. I'd only suggest the way
that you phrase it that doesn't immediately offend some parts of the
population.


Al.


---

* Written an Android App? - List it at http://andappstore.com/ *

======
Funky Android Limited is registered in England & Wales with the
company number 6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX, UK.

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's
subsidiaries.


-----Original Message-----
From: android-discuss@googlegroups.com

[mailto:android-disc...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Pd
Sent: 09 April 2009 21:35
To: android-discuss@googlegroups.com

Subject: [android-discuss] Re: Unacceptable and abusive comments needs
immediate solution from Google



I see this the other way around. Have you heard how the younger generation
speak? Sometimes I don't understand what they are saying, curse words and
all. If anyone needs protecting its me :-)

Live and let live, that's what I say. People should have the right to
express themselves. Too many "Political Correctness" evangelists have had
their way for far too long. As an example you now have to say chalk board
because anything else is seemed derogatory.

Please don't tell me what I can and can't say and I won't tell you what you
can do or say :-)

Profanity is frowned upon by some but it is now very common and a way of
life for some.

Not too long ago I saw a big billboard advertisement. It had a message
saying "Some some people are gay, Get over it!". I guess a similar message
could be used here. "Some p



Other Threads

1. Logcat stopped working

Clicking on the Logcat view doesn't show any of my Log.v messages.
I used -wipe-data, restarted eclipse, rebooted computer. Doesn't show
it any more.
lost another 8 hours today.

Any help appreciated.
thanks,
Anil

console:

[2008-04-08 14:15:59 - juwo android] ------------------------------
[2008-04-08 14:15:59 - juwo android] Android Launch!
[2008-04-08 14:15:59 - juwo android] adb is running normally.
[2008-04-08 14:15:59 - juwo android] Launching:
com.juwo.blockpad.JuwoViewer
[2008-04-08 14:15:59 - juwo android] Automatic Target Mode: launch
emulator.
[2008-04-08 14:15:59 - juwo android] Launching a new emulator.
[2008-04-08 14:16:03 - juwo android] New emulator found: emulator-
tcp-5555
[2008-04-08 14:16:58 - juwo android] HOME is up on device 'emulator-
tcp-5555'
[2008-04-08 14:16:58 - juwo android] Pushing juwo android.apk to /data/
app on device 'emulator-tcp-5555'
[2008-04-08 14:17:01 - juwo android] Starting activity on device:
com.juwo.blockpad.JuwoViewer
[2008-04-08 14:17:12 - juwo android] ActivityManager: Starting: Intent
{ comp={com.juwo.blockpad/com.juwo.blockpad.JuwoViewer} }
[2008-04-08 14:17:14 - juwo android] Attempting to connect de{*filter*} to
'com.juwo.blockpad' on port 8606

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~

2. Discussion on media-sample-apps

Megha,
I'm going to need access to the raw audio from inside an mp4
(presumably) recording from the Mic. Is AMR-NB the only codec that
will be supported? I currently have code that processes PCM audio
properly, but am kind of stuck as to where to go from there on the
emulator itself. It seems that only AMR-NB will be produced, but audio
recording isn't currently supported, so I can't get an example file.

I've tried putting a test PCM/AU file to at least test my current
processing code, but I can't seem to actually open the file from the
Resources or the asset/file system. Can you recommend an incremental
development step or two?

Thanks,
  -E

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~

3. Updating View in a SimpleCursorAdapter

4. Notepad exercise1 - error on import line com.google.provider

5. Porting android on hardware

6. terrain data

7. Checkbox align label