Anything on Android that can do smooth scrolling?

by admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 04:19:00 GMT

 Getting a bit disillusioned after spending most of the day trying to
make a smooth scrolling app. I've tried everything, views, surface
views, delaying threads, just scrolling tiny pictures, etc., but
whatever I try, there is always an unsightly flicker even though I can
easily achieve 20 - 30 fps.

So I thought I'd check out whats out there in the market to see if
anyone else can crack this. And I couldn't find anything at all! Most
games don't handle scrolling at all, just moving whats on the screen.
Even commercial games like deBlob don't seem to scroll smoothly.

And yet I did find one single app which does handle smooth scrolling.
The native picture viewer does very smooth scrolling on the thumbnail
view. Does anyone know how the picture viewer does smooth thumbnail
scrolling? Going through the source code, I think it uses an extended
View - GridViewSpecial.

Could anyone offer any other examples of smooth scrolling?

Surely smooth scrolling is going to be vital if apps want to out-
perform iPhone apps!!

Anything on Android that can do smooth scrolling?

by admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:48:09 GMT

 Thanks for the responses guys.

My question was more like how come its smooth in the picture viewer
app despite running multi processes? Its the only 2d app I've found
that does this correctly, but its reassuring to know it DOES work.

Surface views seem good for static surfaces with moving objects on
top, but bad for scrolling objects.

Checking the picture viewer code again, I think they are using an
oversided view with scrollto methods. I will try this later to see if
this works better.

Anything on Android that can do smooth scrolling?

by Streets Of Boston » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:58:38 GMT

 Add my vote for this option/feature: A permission for an app to become
the only app running (except maybe the phone-app and incoming SMS,
etc).

Anything on Android that can do smooth scrolling?

by Sundog » Fri, 27 Mar 2009 04:51:14 GMT

Agreed. A race condition-like situation waiting to happen.

Anything on Android that can do smooth scrolling?

by Sundog » Fri, 27 Mar 2009 04:52:03 GMT

  see her point, it isn't scalable. What do you do when two apps both
want this, and you want both apps?

No, I agree, this needs addressing but not this way.