sd card storage - the android killer

by badllama77 » Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:05:44 GMT

 Ok now I know this has been done to death.  I seriously think this
will be the death of android.  This is currently not a priority and I
think that is something that someone needs to reconsider.  The primary
competitor for the android platform is of course the iphone.  The
primary feature of the iphone is a large amount of storage space.  Yes
I know the g1 is the first phone and the following may have larger
capacity etc...   I don't know how much stock google puts into
marketing, and first reaction but it is crucial.  When the g1 came out
with a big launch touting the android platform it became crucial that
the phone be an impressive success from the start.  What is going to
keep that from happening... Besides spotty 3G and service issues, the
main thing will be when the user goes to install the shiny new app
from the marketplace only to find they have no space left.  Now this
can happen on an iphone of course but then all one has to do is free
space by removing music etc...  This has and will create increasingly
bad press surrounding the phone.

Those waiting for an android phone with a large amount of space are
also going to suffer from sticker shock.  Apple's prices are able to
be what they are because they own the kit and kaboodle.  They paid off
their r&d on the phone with the first sales and then the market sales
are all gravy.   The android platform doesn't have this luxury, the
phones will more than likely continue to have a higher price tag (e.g.
HTCs touch line).  However if the price tag can be kept down, as it is
with the g1, by not requiring large amounts of storage internally and
relying on an sdhc for much of the storage.  Yes I know the cost of
the os being removed will reduce the overhead, but the hardware is the
issue here.

I have seen the dev's issues with this and there is no easy answer.  A
repartitioned sd card may provide at least a temporary solution,
allowing the security of each application having its own user access
restricting others and providing the much needed space.  In time this
method could be replaced, although migration may be sticky.  Although
in theory an app could be written to mount both partitions and make a
backup, and if an encrypted linux vfs was used as the end game the
data could be rewritten back after the reformat to fat.

Long story short, this should be a top priority.

Thats my 2 cents
Eric

sd card storage - the android killer

by Michael » Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:19:46 GMT

 So what you're saying is, that HTC should have put more memory in the
G1 phone?  Okay, sure, that's probably true.

sd card storage - the android killer

by Ed » Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:21:07 GMT

 I do think that figuring out how to enable SD card-based applications
is an incredibly useful idea. On Palm, it meant that you could always
upgrade to a bigger card and keep the device competitive and
functional over many years. It also meant that switching hardware was
much less of a problem for the user.

Very simply, the ability to store applications on the SD card would
make the G1 (and future Android phones) extremely competitive over the
long term. Also, I don't like the idea (which has been presented many
times) that the G1 is just a beta product for better products that
will soon come out in the future. The G1 can, and should be, a device
that has long-term viability.

Keep in mind that I realize that this is a very difficult problem. I
am speaking purely from a user perspective. In the end, products that
hope to be successful over the long-term should be geared towards
customers.

sd card storage - the android killer

by badllama77 » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 04:46:51 GMT

 Umm no as I said above apps need to be able to be placed on the sd
card.

sd card storage - the android killer

by Josh Steiner » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 06:38:52 GMT

 He's surely not saying that.  If Android wants to be a general purpose
mobile OS that runs on many different kinds of devices, it needs to be
flexible enough to accommodate at least some common setups (small internal
mem, large external mem being an obvious one).  Considering that the G1 is
the flagship launch product, I think you can safely put in the category of
"common configurations".   There will likely be be future devices that have
even less internal memory that the G1.

-Josh

sd card storage - the android killer

by Ed » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:08:53 GMT

 Great point, Josh--and much more concise than my rambling version.
Thanks!

sd card storage - the android killer

by GW » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:10:00 GMT

 I'm with you on saying there needs to be a means of installing apps on
the SD card and running them from it. Aside from the storage issues
for the end users, this space limit is going to affect the bottom line
when it comes to app sales. People are freer with their money when
they don't have to pick and choose what they can fit on their devices.
More space = more sales.

sd card storage - the android killer

by Brad Gies » Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:15:10 GMT

 I also agree with this, as long as the user is given a choice of whether to
install it on the phone or the SD card, WITH a way of viewing information on
what it means to choose one over the over.

Sincerely,

Brad Gies

Brad Gies
27415 Greenfield Rd, # 2,
Southfield, MI, USA
48076

Moderation in everything, including abstinence

I'm with you on saying there needs to be a means of installing apps on
the SD card and running them from it. Aside from the storage issues
for the end users, this space limit is going to affect the bottom line
when it comes to app sales. People are freer with their money when
they don't have to pick and choose what they can fit on their devices.
More space = more sales.

sd card storage - the android killer

by pilkro » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:01:27 GMT

 I have to agree that this is a major death issue.

When people are excited about the google phone and ask me how I like
it, I frown, say "meh" and tell them about how I can't really do
anything on it cuz the storage is full.  I then point out that it has
a 1 gig card that is pretty much empty because I don't store music on
my telephone.  They typically say "oh" and stop asking about the
phone.

pilkro, from bham, MI

1. Best Server for Android MultiPlayer Games?

Hi All,

I am developing a multiplayer card game. And currently looking for best
server. I have R&D on three servers RED5, SmartFox and Elctro Server.

RED5 is open source but you have to right midle tier for android to
communicate with server.
SmartFox has inherent Android support.

Would you please share your expert thoughts or point me some other servers.

Best Regards,
Atif Gulzar

I  Unicode, zln

2. SDK and NDK. Additional possibilities

Hello there,
I'm newbie in Android dev, so maybe my questions sound a little bit
stupid, but:
1) Is there some possibility to obtain additional SDK and NDK api?
(maybe some partners program or something else)
2) Are there any known SDK frameworks (interesting frameworks for
network solutions)
3) What kind of IPC between java and c/c++ app exists (exept JNI)
4) Is there any possibility to get kernel access or to get 'root'
privileges?

Thanks

3. Repo and Git

4. Failed to Create From Sample Project