Replace dialer application by installing another dialer app

by rt » Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:48:04 GMT

 oes anyone know if since the last posting on this thread (Aug. 2009)
future Android releases have made the dialer app
more modular? That is, one can more easily replace it with a
downloadable dialer app.

I recall that at the time, some of the challenges of overwriting the
native dialer had to do with the fact that it runs
in the same process as the telephony framework and the APIs between
the two where not exposed publicly.

Thanks,
Reli

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com>
Date: Aug 27 2009, 3:00pm
Subject: Replace dialer application by installing another dialer app
To: Android Developers

Sorry, you can't override the missed call icon. It is actually a
carrier
requirement that it work the way it does (the telephony system posts
the
icon based on voicemail status information from the network).

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 1:33 AM, TAKEphONE <shimo...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails. All such
questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can
see and
answer them.

1. Free version to Paid version

I've got a situation a lot of us do, where I have released a free
version and now need to make a Paid version of the same app.

As those who have tried will know, you can't change an app from Free
to Paid (a silly feature of the Market).

So, what I'm planning to do is release a "Plus" version that has more
features.

What are others doing to help direct users to their paid versions from
their Free versions?
I'n my case its an input method, so I have to be careful about how I
tell the user about the paid version with more features.

Comments?

- Brill Pappin

--

2. Regarding gcov using arm-eabi toolchain

Dear All,

We have developed an application for which we would like to check the code
coverage.
We have used gcov available in android toolchain.

In our Android.mk file we have added the following LOCAL_FLAGS and included
the libgcov static library.

LOCAL_CFLAGS:= -fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage

LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES := libgcov

We got some compilation issues which was resolved by copying the libgcov
library from
prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.4.0/android/libgcov.a
using BUILD_PREBUILT make rules.

The output executable size is also increased with this and in out folder was
can see *.gcno files getting created.

When we execute the test *.gcda files are generated on target but when we
try to take the code coverage using lcov it is not generating the code
coverage report.

lcov --directory code_coverage/ --capture --output-file ./code_coverage.info
genhtml -o code_coverage/ ./code_coverage.info

We have tested the same setup with arm-linux toolchain and it works fine.

Please provide some pointer which we can look into.

Regards,
Manish

--

3. Android 2.2 appWidgetManager.updateAppWidget not work?

4. Difference between Android 2.2 and Google API for Android

5. playing RTP/TCP/AVP video stream (RTSP over HTTP tunnel)

6. Can't download the Android SDK

7. [ASK] Newbie coders in android