Third-party native code protectio

by Aubrey-Derrick Schmidt » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:12:41 GMT

 Hi William,

we share similar concerns about this topic. I have a master student who
just started his thesis aiming for detecting JNI invocations
statically/dynamically. Lets see, how well this goes.

BR,
Aubrey

Third-party native code protectio

by Dan Hein » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:47:28 GMT

 William,

I have a very similar question about native code.   However, my question is
how native parts of the core system can be extended (such as adding a new
native service) in a secure manner.  That is, outside the Dalvik VM, is
there a way to run native code as a "user" without root permissions?

The following example is a bit "out there", but it is intended to clarify
the above question with a concrete example.  So, let's just say I want to
build a native Apache webserver into my Android handset, perhaps for  a
piconet collaboration session with other users in the room.  How could I
start the Apache server securely if it lived in /system/bin, along side
other apps like telnetd which have uid=0 root, gid = 0 root?  Could I use
sudo?  Could I use chroot?

I am not a Linux security expert.  I imagine there is a fairly
straightforward way to do the above.  I just want some concrete examples.  I
would very much like to see one of the Android framework engineers
respond...

Thanks,
Dan

Third-party native code protectio

by Dan Hein » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:25:37 GMT

 ill,

Thanks for the tips. I'll dig inot init.rc. The webserver was just an
example, but this is exactly the type of info I was seeking.

Do you know of any existing documentation that explains steps needed to
secure Android device (i.e. at the OEM level)?

1. sign userimage with vendor private keys
2. ensure ro.secure system property set
3. ensure no root consoles left running (e.g. such as G1 RC29)
4. ensure build phase for generating dexopt files into system image
5. Other?

Thanks,
Dan