Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by mask » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 21:48:53 GMT

 This is an excerpt from an application comment:

"This stupid fucking shit isn't downloading/installing! What a waste
sherelle 2009-04-08 04:00:44"

As a developer, I would like to know when is Google going to start
moderating such illiterate and ignorant people from commenting on an
issue developer has no control. At least, the curse words should be
removed or 'moderated' for keeping the developer community sane. Keep
in mind, in the long run its the developers and their application that
will eventually sell and market android platform.

As a developer, all ignorant and abusive comments are least
productive. Also Google's inaction in removing abusive comments are
totally unacceptable.

As a developer, I request Google to take immediate action by removing
comments which are abusive or totally remove commenting but keep the
star rating until Google provides a complete solution.

Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 22:29:17 GMT

 Completely agree. I'm amazed there isn't an auto-filter going on - it
would be easy to catch obvious swear words like the ones you quote
above.

When I've seen abusive comments, the poster usually tries to disguise
the swear words by changing a letter or by using asterisks instead,
because of fear of being moderated I guess.

But it looks like the moderating is not happening at all.

Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by snctln » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 01:05:34 GMT

 Overall the situation is loads better than it was back in december,
back then every other comment had a curse word in it and contained a
lot of users just yelling at each otehr.  Now it appears that the

I also wonder if "Mark as spam" may be working too well.  Once of my 3
games that I sell routinely has all of the comments just vanish, both
good and bad comments.  Since I do not have a T-Mobile sim I can only
see the comments for paid apps through cyrket, but every other day or
so a new comment appears, and regardless of whether it is good or bad
it is always gone within a few days.  My other games don't have this
problem at all so I can only assume that people are marking good
comments as spam and they are being removed even though there is no
spam in them.

Well regardless of everything I think that the situation is loads
better than it was a few months ago, but the Market still needs a lot
of work and some actual moderators.

---snctln

Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Streets Of Boston » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 01:12:18 GMT

 I don't know how Cyrket shows all the comments and such, but I does
not show all the comments. My app has many more comments when viewed
on the phone than when viewed on Cyrket.

Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by snctln » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 01:31:13 GMT

I trust cyrket for the most part, comments from nearly 2 months ago
for my first game are still there while comments for this one game
always seem to vanish, oh well

As far as testing on a device, I completely agree, My first two games
were released when only working with the emulator and required many
small updates based off of feedback I received from market users.  I
was able to get a ADP1 back in January and have revised those apps and
also released a handful of new apps.  Developing on a device is so
much nicer than developing on the emulator plus you get to add new
functionality because you can test fun things like the accelerometer
and such.  I am currently pretty content with my results, 2 of my paid
games are in the top 10 most popular paid games and 2 of my free games
are in the Top 20 games according to androidstats.com

snctln

Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Incognito » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 03:09:19 GMT

 I would not remove the comment system. Notice that he is leting you know there
was a problem with the download. Granted, it is not your fault and he could
have used better language but at least he took the time to let you know his
frustration. I think is better to ask google to fix the download problem.

[...]

by mask » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 09:51:48 GMT

 I think most would agree that the comments are good to provide
feedback. The issue is with using abusive curse words, it does not
help google, developer or the users. It just shows that the user does
not know how to communicate and he is frustrated. He is frustrated
because the app is not downloading after he has made a purchase. This
does not justify the use of curse word . I think we all expect certain
amount of decency in the market place because even kids visit it and
other civilized people visit it as well. Market place comments is not
a discussion board nor frustration board.

Unacceptable and abusive comments needs immediate solution from Google

by Andreas Kostyrka » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 22:21:46 GMT

 m Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:51:36 -0700 (PDT)