Mechanics of how to have free and paid apps in some apk

by admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:22:36 GMT

 ok I can't figure the whole thing out myself but this is a starting
point and others can contribute to make a proposal to the Google
devs ...

- Apps should be published as a single apk, both free and paid version
- There should be an API within the app to confirm whether user is a
free or paid user and disable / enable functionality accordingly
- There should be a screen that can be called from the app which
allows user to upgrade to the full version with a single click
- No need to re-download the apk - just start it again with the new
settings

Advantages :
- Android market not flooded with duplicate versions of each app
- Devs can issue single update which will upgrade both sets of users
- Makes it easier for users to upgrade
- Makes it easier for devs to showcase their apps without forcing
payment

Needs a bit of refinement but hopefully this gives the basic idea, and
will help give the market a boost!!!

Mechanics of how to have free and paid apps in some apk

by Al Sutton » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:52:51 GMT

 I'd be interested to know If you thing
 http://andappstore.com/AndroidPhoneApplications/licensing.jsp fits the bill.

Within a single APK the app can check the features in the license (parameter
f in section 3) and offer the functionality as necessary.

The only thing that AndAppStore doesn't have at the moment is an upgrade
process, but this is to allow developers to develop a payment mechanism that
suits their needs (e.g. choice of payment providers, order tracking, etc.).

Al.
---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

[...]

by Incognito » Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:54:53 GMT

 Not a bad idea but probably not that important to do immediately.

On Apr 12, 2009, at 12:22 PM, "admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com"

[...]

1. WebView History use?

I'm working on a custom html browser using WebView.loadData().  I'm
trying to implement a back button feature, but it seems that loadData
doesn't update the history, and I have no way to do it myself.

private WebView wv;
private boolean goBack = false;

public void onCreate(Bundle icicle)
{
  super.onCreate(icicle);
  wv = (WebView)findViewById(R.id.record_html);

  wv.setOnKeyListener(this);
"utf-8");
}

boolean onKey(View v, int keyCode, KeyEvent event)
{
  if (keyCode == KeyEvent.KEYCODE_BACK && event.getAction() ==
KeyEvent.ACTION_DOWN)
  {
    if (goBack)
    {
      if (wv.canGoBack())
      {
        wv.goBack();
        goBack = !goBack;
        return true;
    else
    {
      goBack = !goBack;
"utf-8");
      return true;
  return false;
}

I would expect this to first load "Test!".  When I press the back
button, it loads "Test2!" (this part works), and sets goBack to true.
Then I press the back button again, and it sees that it can goBack,
and loads "Test!" again.  Instead, canGoBack() returns false.

I've tried adding a WebViewClient and calling doUpdateVisitedHistory,
but that is asking for a URL and doesn't accept data.

Is there another way of doing this, or am I going to have to create a
list of HTML to cycle through?

2. SDK Bug - ViewAnimator Crash

Hi,

I've noticed that the ViewAnimator class will often crash with the
message:

"Application Error:
[application]

An error has occured in [application]. width and height must be > 0."

I am fairly confident this is a problem with the SDK.  It appears to
me that the problem is easier to reproduce under load, which is
similar to this person's findings:

3. Monitor live objects in android app !!!

4. Display Context menu

5. MapActivity onTouchEvent

6. Line separator (between views/controls on activity page)

7. ListView - make no item focused on startup?