Mechanics of how to have free and paid apps in some apk

by admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:22:36 GMT

 ok I can't figure the whole thing out myself but this is a starting
point and others can contribute to make a proposal to the Google
devs ...

- Apps should be published as a single apk, both free and paid version
- There should be an API within the app to confirm whether user is a
free or paid user and disable / enable functionality accordingly
- There should be a screen that can be called from the app which
allows user to upgrade to the full version with a single click
- No need to re-download the apk - just start it again with the new
settings

Advantages :
- Android market not flooded with duplicate versions of each app
- Devs can issue single update which will upgrade both sets of users
- Makes it easier for users to upgrade
- Makes it easier for devs to showcase their apps without forcing
payment

Needs a bit of refinement but hopefully this gives the basic idea, and
will help give the market a boost!!!

Mechanics of how to have free and paid apps in some apk

by Al Sutton » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:52:51 GMT

 I'd be interested to know If you thing
 http://andappstore.com/AndroidPhoneApplications/licensing.jsp fits the bill.

Within a single APK the app can check the features in the license (parameter
f in section 3) and offer the functionality as necessary.

The only thing that AndAppStore doesn't have at the moment is an upgrade
process, but this is to allow developers to develop a payment mechanism that
suits their needs (e.g. choice of payment providers, order tracking, etc.).

Al.
---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

[...]

by Incognito » Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:54:53 GMT

 Not a bad idea but probably not that important to do immediately.

On Apr 12, 2009, at 12:22 PM, "admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com"

[...]

1. Problem in getting Lattitude and Longitude

if i run the code to get latitude and longitude in android 1.5 version i wil
get the output clearly...
but at the same time if i run the same cod e in google Api 1.5  it doesnt
displays anthng...

i htnk problem in getting latitude and longitude in DDMS..
Can any one tell me pls......

With Regards,
Raghav.S

2. global application object or current activity...

There is nothing the framework provides -- there is no "the" global
application (you can have multiple applications running in one process), nor
concept of a "current" activity (especially when you mix tabs into the
picture).

Given that you know more about what is really going to happen (and not
happen) in your process, though, you can fairly easily make your own static
and set it as appropriate for retrieval by other code.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.

3. Why does using People._COUNT cause IllegalArgumentException to be thrown?

4. Custom ListView With a lable on top

5. how to block the dropdown list in autocompletetextview?

6. Hmm... at last ADC2 is out of our way ... tell about your app and experience

7. which content providers to apps have access to?