Ultra-Competitive FireWallet supporters

by John Lauricella » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 23:57:23 GMT

 Somebody named "Peter", who has a comment on the FireWallet finance application
review page on the Android Market that says something like this "Firewallet is
the greatest program ever, the best finance program, and the best application
period, for Android.." 5 STARS, went on a competing finance application
(BudgetProt) review site and wrote "Firewallet is way way better" 2 STARS!!!
That crushed the review stars average for the application and IS HURTING SALES.
This is highly confrontational behaviour, and will lead to retaliation. It was
not a real review, it was a way to hurt a competing product, by LYING.

PLEASE STOP HURTING OTHER DEVELOPERS IN YOUR RACE TO OUTCOMPETE.

Rediscover Hotmail: Get e-mail storage that grows with you.

Ultra-Competitive FireWallet supporters

by Al Sutton » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 00:49:13 GMT

 I've had a few instances like this. I tend to mark the comment as spam and
hope for the best.

At the end of the day with they may really think their app is 2.5 times
better, and with the way market works you can only hope real users who like
your app will chip in with votes.

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

  _____

Somebody named "Peter", who has a comment on the FireWallet finance
application review page on the Android Market that says something like this
"Firewallet is the greatest program ever, the best finance program, and the
best application period, for Android.." 5 STARS, went on a competing finance
application (BudgetProt) review site and wrote "Firewallet is way way
better" 2 STARS!!!
That crushed the review stars average for the application and IS HURTING
SALES.
This is highly confrontational behaviour, and will lead to retaliation. It
was not a real review, it was a way to hurt a competing product, by LYING.

PLEASE STOP HURTING OTHER DEVELOPERS IN YOUR RACE TO OUTCOMPETE.

  _____

Rediscover HotmailR: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. Check it
< http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_St
orage1_042009> out.

Ultra-Competitive FireWallet supporters

by James » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:04:08 GMT

 Hi John,

This is James Gramata the creator of FireWallet.  I really do
apologize for users of my product behaving in this way.  I definitely
do not condone these actions but people are just expressing the way
they feel and that is understandable.

I have also had a number of comments/ratings on my product asking me
not to charge and to keep my product free or that other competing free
applications are better while giving me a rating of 1 star regardless
of how they actually felt about the quality of FireWallet.  These are
kind of spam but at the same time they are also legitimate ratings.

We as developers just have to hope that the good ratings/comments will
outweigh the negative.

Thanks,

James Gramata

Ultra-Competitive FireWallet supporters

by Al Sutton » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:04:30 GMT

 I think what we're seeing is just a "feature" of a subjective rating system.
I posted the scheme I use to rate apps a few weeks ago at
 http://alsutton.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/marking-on-the-googles-android-mark
et/ so that if developers felt I was being unfair on their app they could
challenge me using my own post as evidence of why they felt I had
unreasonably rated their app.

Some users will see giving competing apps a 1* as a true reflection of their
opinion that compared to their favourite app another one is just a useless
distraction for users.

It's one of the reasons that AndAppStore allows users to say if a comment is
useful or not, that way you get an indication of what is considered a fair
comment and what's considered a blatant trashing of a useful app.

Al.
---

[...]

you. http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Redisco...

1. Solution to whining users over advertising

I may have found the magical solution to keeping users from whining
and complaining about in app advertising. I'm in the process of
introducing ads into the app now and are starting to run informational
banners first.

My solution to keeping the whining and complaining to a minimum is to
add a free opt-out option to the app. The opt-out lasts for 30 days,
so after that time they will start seeing ads again. They can opt-out
again though for another 30 days. Fairly simple to implement.

I could have done something else like create a "pro" version and sold
it but that was too complicated and from what others have said, pretty
much a waste of time.

On the opt-out page I also put a donate button, so people could give
me money if they felt compelled. Today I got my first earnings from
the app: $5 in donation! 1000 hours of labor and a couple of grand in
server fees for $5! A few more like that and I can retire to Hawaii.

The stats: over 10,000 people have downloaded the app since I added
the opt-out option and 165 have done so. I find that quite acceptable,
less than 2%. Those that opt-out still see my informational banners,
they are propaganda for how much the app cost me to run it so perhaps
they'll feel guilty and not opt-out after the 30 days expire.

-John Coryat

--

2. Android-based Laptop + need to run Win XP apps

Can't answer the "run laptop with Android" though I have a touch-
screen netbook I would love to do that with personally.

However, I have found the best solution for running Windows programs
"myself" to be to setup a home (also did this at work in one place
where it was ok) system with LogMeIn, and then use the LogMeIn
Ignition app for Android. Have also used the iPhone version, and
almost bought an iPad because the interface is very nice on a larger
screen. So you run all your programs on something with real
horsepower, while carrying something that's lighter and has better
battery life.

Currently that means running LMI on my NexusOne when I need to do a
little editing (then send myself or the client the doc) with MS Word.
Have not yet tried using PhotoShop that way - more because I'm worried
how the zoom option might be interpreted by PS.

YMMV and all that :-)

--

3. WTPamer: Homescreen hari ini

4. Homescreen g