Ultra-Competitive FireWallet supporters

by John Lauricella » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 23:57:23 GMT

 Somebody named "Peter", who has a comment on the FireWallet finance application
review page on the Android Market that says something like this "Firewallet is
the greatest program ever, the best finance program, and the best application
period, for Android.." 5 STARS, went on a competing finance application
(BudgetProt) review site and wrote "Firewallet is way way better" 2 STARS!!!
That crushed the review stars average for the application and IS HURTING SALES.
This is highly confrontational behaviour, and will lead to retaliation. It was
not a real review, it was a way to hurt a competing product, by LYING.

PLEASE STOP HURTING OTHER DEVELOPERS IN YOUR RACE TO OUTCOMPETE.

Rediscover Hotmail: Get e-mail storage that grows with you.

Ultra-Competitive FireWallet supporters

by Al Sutton » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 00:49:13 GMT

 I've had a few instances like this. I tend to mark the comment as spam and
hope for the best.

At the end of the day with they may really think their app is 2.5 times
better, and with the way market works you can only hope real users who like
your app will chip in with votes.

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

  _____

Somebody named "Peter", who has a comment on the FireWallet finance
application review page on the Android Market that says something like this
"Firewallet is the greatest program ever, the best finance program, and the
best application period, for Android.." 5 STARS, went on a competing finance
application (BudgetProt) review site and wrote "Firewallet is way way
better" 2 STARS!!!
That crushed the review stars average for the application and IS HURTING
SALES.
This is highly confrontational behaviour, and will lead to retaliation. It
was not a real review, it was a way to hurt a competing product, by LYING.

PLEASE STOP HURTING OTHER DEVELOPERS IN YOUR RACE TO OUTCOMPETE.

  _____

Rediscover HotmailR: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. Check it
< http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_St
orage1_042009> out.

Ultra-Competitive FireWallet supporters

by James » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:04:08 GMT

 Hi John,

This is James Gramata the creator of FireWallet.  I really do
apologize for users of my product behaving in this way.  I definitely
do not condone these actions but people are just expressing the way
they feel and that is understandable.

I have also had a number of comments/ratings on my product asking me
not to charge and to keep my product free or that other competing free
applications are better while giving me a rating of 1 star regardless
of how they actually felt about the quality of FireWallet.  These are
kind of spam but at the same time they are also legitimate ratings.

We as developers just have to hope that the good ratings/comments will
outweigh the negative.

Thanks,

James Gramata

Ultra-Competitive FireWallet supporters

by Al Sutton » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:04:30 GMT

 I think what we're seeing is just a "feature" of a subjective rating system.
I posted the scheme I use to rate apps a few weeks ago at
 http://alsutton.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/marking-on-the-googles-android-mark
et/ so that if developers felt I was being unfair on their app they could
challenge me using my own post as evidence of why they felt I had
unreasonably rated their app.

Some users will see giving competing apps a 1* as a true reflection of their
opinion that compared to their favourite app another one is just a useless
distraction for users.

It's one of the reasons that AndAppStore allows users to say if a comment is
useful or not, that way you get an indication of what is considered a fair
comment and what's considered a blatant trashing of a useful app.

Al.
---

[...]

you. http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Redisco...

1. open-source games

Hi,

does somebody know site(s) with open-source games for Android?

Thanks in advice.

2. Can't get my widget to show up?

I followed the tutorial off code.google.com to add widgets to your
app. For some reason, when I run the app on the phone for testing,
then long click the home screen to add widgets, my widget is not an
option. I imagine I am doing something wrong, but I thought I followed
the tutorial pretty well. Here is some of my code, please offer a
suggestion of why I can't add my widget. BTW i dont care that it
doesnt do anything yet, or even if it breaks, I just want to see it as
an option first (small steps). Thanks for any help or feedback

Any * you see, is just a place holder for the real name.

My widget provider

public class * extends AppWidgetProvider {

    public void onUpdate(Context context, AppWidgetManager
appWidgetManager, int[] appWidgetIds) {
        final int N = appWidgetIds.length;

        // Perform this loop procedure for each App Widget that
belongs to this provider
        for (int i=0; i<N; i++) {
            int appWidgetId = appWidgetIds[i];

            // Create an Intent to launch ExampleActivity
            Intent intent = new Intent(context, MobileApp.class);
            PendingIntent pendingIntent = PendingIntent.getActivity
(context, 0, intent, 0);

            // Get the layout for the App Widget and attach an on-
click listener to the button
            RemoteViews views = new RemoteViews(context.getPackageName
(), R.layout.widget);
            views.setOnClickPendingIntent(R.id.widget_next_label,
pendingIntent);

            // Tell the AppWidgetManager to perform an update on the
current App Widget
            appWidgetManager.updateAppWidget(appWidgetId, views);

My manifest

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
      package="com.*.android"
      android:versionCode="1"
      android:versionName="1.0.0">

  <application
    android:label="*">

    <activity
      android:name=".MobileApp"
      android:label="*"
      android:configChanges="orientation|keyboardHidden"
      android:theme="@style/Theme.NoBackground"
      android:icon="@drawable/icon_gs">
      <intent-filter>
          <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
          <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
      </intent-filter>
                </activity>
    <service android:name=".audio.AudioPlayerService"
android:exported="false" android:enabled="true" />
  </application>

<receiver android:name=".*AppWidgetProvider" android:label="* Widget">
    <intent-filter>
        <action
android:name="android.appwidget.action.APPWIDGET_UPDATE" />
    </intent-filter>
               android:resource="@xml/app_widget_info" />
</receiver>

  <uses-sdk minSdkVersion="2" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/>
  <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE"/
  <uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE"/>
  <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK"/>
</manifest>

and my info .xml file...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<appwidget-provider xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
    android:minWidth="294dp"
    android:minHeight="72dp"
    android:updatePeriodMillis="86400000"
    android:initialLayout="@layout/widget" >
</appwidget-provider>

my widget layout file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<RelativeLayout
        xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
    android:layout_width="wrap_content"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content">

        <Button
                android:id="@+id/widget_play_button"
                android:layout_width="25px"
                android:layout_height="25px"
                android:layout_alignParentLeft="true"
                android:layout_centerVertical="true"
                android:text="Play"     />

        <Button
                android:id="@+id/widget_next_button"
                android:layout_width="25px"
                android:layout_height="25px"
                android:layout_toRightOf="@id/widget_play_button"
                android:text="Next" />

        <TextView
                android:id="@+id/widget_song_label"
                android:layout_width="wrap_content"
                android:layout_height="wrap_content"
                android:layout_toRightOf="@id/widget_next_button"
                android:layout_marginTop="5px"
                android:text="Song Name by Song Artist"
                android:textSize="16px"/>

        <TextView
                android:id="@+id/widget_next_label"
                android:layout_width="wrap_content"
                android:layout_height="wrap_content"
                android:layout_toRightOf="@id/widget_next_button"
                android:layout_below="@id/widget_song_label"
                android:layout_marginTop="5px"
                android:textSize="10px"
                android:text="Next Song by Next Artist"/>

</RelativeLayout>

3. Graphics

4. Map object recycling in MapView

5. Problem in Http Get method....pls tel me ...

6. DDMS "File Explorer" not showing any contents

7. Thinking about adding UBIFS utilities into platform/external/