Neither user nor current process has android.permission.SET_PREFERRED_APPLICATIONS

by Dianne Hackborn » Fri, 06 Mar 2009 04:13:38 GMT

 Ah yeah.  This is either a bug, or just not something that is supported.  We
will change Dialtacs to not use implicit intents for its tabs, since
replacing them just won't work.  This will avoid running into such problems
involving it.

Neither user nor current process has android.permission.SET_PREFERRED_APPLICATIONS

by Dianne Hackborn » Fri, 06 Mar 2009 07:54:28 GMT

 t is not currently possible to replace tabs across non-trusting .apks --
this would require running the activity of the tab content in a different
process than the containing tab, and we just can't do that right now.

Also there is nothing in the SDK saying that Dialtacts as it stands will
continue to exist in its current form. I would completely expect that other
manufacturers of Android phones will have their own totally different
dialers, with different tabs, or no tabs at all, so replacing the entire UI
is really the only safe thing to do.

As far as permissions, I believe the only special permission Dialtacts has
is for placing emergency calls, so if you wanted to replace it you would
need to have a button to get to the built-in dialer for emergency calls.
Sorry about that, but that's unfortunately a restriction we have to live
with for now.

I think there may also be some private APIs that the current impl uses (such
as maybe showing presence information with contacts) so you wouldn't be able
to write something that is functionality identical to the standard one.
This is also somewhat the nature of the beast -- you can be sure that
various manufacturers will do exended dialers with all kinds of hooks into
special parts of their particular device. This is really a UI that is so
fundamental to a lot of the specifics of a particular device that these
things are going to be the case.

We would certainly like to have more extensive facilities for
replacing/customizing the dialer, but I can't tell you what or when that
might be. If there are things you see that can help, we would welcome
patches.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:14 PM, MakeMobile