Is anyone else getting bored of announced product releases that don't materialise ...

by Fred Grott » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 22:22:59 GMT

 Its not the device pr that matters.. its the Mobile Operators  that sign up
that matters as far as growth

I know of two Mobile Operator Announcements coming ..

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:19 AM, admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com <

Is anyone else getting bored of announced product releases that don't materialise ...

by Dave White » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:00:30 GMT

 I second that... why should I have to cancel an existing contract just to
use a specific phone?  I have a perfectly good carrier, who realises that
they are just a carrier

-- Dave White

How does the operator matter? Buy the phone, stick in your card,
enjoy. This phone locking nonsense should die -- I will only ever buy
a phone if it is NOT LOCKED, either in OS or in operator.

device pr that matters...

release phone xxx for Androi...

Is anyone else getting bored of announced product releases that don't materialise ...

by Al Sutton » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:10:19 GMT

 I took out a T-Mobile contract to get a G1 because it was the only way to
get an Android device, but once the year is up on that contract I will
cancel it and I won't take out another contract just to get another Android
device.

The exclusivity launch period is now pretty much over, so I'd expect to see
at least some of the next generation of Android devices on pay as you go or
even SIM free (I have a sneaky suspicion that the Samsung device may be the
first to go this way in Europe)

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

  _____

product releases that don't materialise ...

I second that... why should I have to cancel an existing contract just to
use a specific phone?  I have a perfectly good carrier, who realises that
they are just a carrier

-- Dave White

How does the operator matter? Buy the phone, stick in your card,
enjoy. This phone locking nonsense should die -- I will only ever buy
a phone if it is NOT LOCKED, either in OS or in operator.

device pr that matters...

release phone xxx for Androi...

Is anyone else getting bored of announced product releases that don't materialise ...

by Dave White » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:09:02 GMT

 Apologies for the abrupt ending to my mail - I was typing on a train on my
phone and someone bumped me causing my finger to brush against the send
key...
What I was trying to say was that I believe the notion of carrier lock-in is
something fairly unique to America.  Please correct me I'm wrong here, but
this is how I see it: For some reason the major phone manufacturers tailor
their handsets to suit the American carriers.  This is despite a higher rate
of  penetration of phones in other markets, and a greater uptake of
technology in those places.  Think iMode for example.

Can anyone explain why?

-- Dave White

1. android:textAppearance on button

Hello:

Suppose I have this button:

        <Button
            android:layout_width="179dp"
            android:layout_height="match_parent"
            android:layout_centerHorizontal="true"

            android:background="@drawable/bg_act_incall_actions_end_call"

            android:text="End Call"
            android:textAppearance="@style/TextInCallEndCallButton"
            style="@style/SimpleBlackShadow"
            />

and a "TextInCallEndCallButton" style:

        <item name="android:textSize">20sp</item>
        <item name="android:textColor">#ffffff</item>
        <item name="android:textStyle">bold</item>

The button color (the text) will stay BLACK.

Now, when I'm setting "android:textColor" directly on the Button, it works.

So, supposed textAppearance is not working, the button label would still be
BOLD and in the specified size of 20sp.

Is this a bug to report or a behavior to avoid?

Android 2.2, HTC Desire.

Thanks!

Sebastian

--

2. HoneyComb key board support

Hi,
I see in this article http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.0.html#locs
that android is including support in several new languages, is that
includes a keyboard? if not, what can be done about it?
I am interested in Hebrew in particular.

3. good 2d physics engine

4. WebView -- preventing pages from being cached

5. RSS viewer app problem

6. 802.11e Support available in android ?

7. I can't configure my google account on Android.