Is anyone else getting bored of announced product releases that don't materialise ...

by Fred Grott » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 22:22:59 GMT

 Its not the device pr that matters.. its the Mobile Operators  that sign up
that matters as far as growth

I know of two Mobile Operator Announcements coming ..

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:19 AM, admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com <

Is anyone else getting bored of announced product releases that don't materialise ...

by Dave White » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:00:30 GMT

 I second that... why should I have to cancel an existing contract just to
use a specific phone?  I have a perfectly good carrier, who realises that
they are just a carrier

-- Dave White

How does the operator matter? Buy the phone, stick in your card,
enjoy. This phone locking nonsense should die -- I will only ever buy
a phone if it is NOT LOCKED, either in OS or in operator.

device pr that matters...

release phone xxx for Androi...

Is anyone else getting bored of announced product releases that don't materialise ...

by Al Sutton » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:10:19 GMT

 I took out a T-Mobile contract to get a G1 because it was the only way to
get an Android device, but once the year is up on that contract I will
cancel it and I won't take out another contract just to get another Android
device.

The exclusivity launch period is now pretty much over, so I'd expect to see
at least some of the next generation of Android devices on pay as you go or
even SIM free (I have a sneaky suspicion that the Samsung device may be the
first to go this way in Europe)

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

  _____

product releases that don't materialise ...

I second that... why should I have to cancel an existing contract just to
use a specific phone?  I have a perfectly good carrier, who realises that
they are just a carrier

-- Dave White

How does the operator matter? Buy the phone, stick in your card,
enjoy. This phone locking nonsense should die -- I will only ever buy
a phone if it is NOT LOCKED, either in OS or in operator.

device pr that matters...

release phone xxx for Androi...

Is anyone else getting bored of announced product releases that don't materialise ...

by Dave White » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:09:02 GMT

 Apologies for the abrupt ending to my mail - I was typing on a train on my
phone and someone bumped me causing my finger to brush against the send
key...
What I was trying to say was that I believe the notion of carrier lock-in is
something fairly unique to America.  Please correct me I'm wrong here, but
this is how I see it: For some reason the major phone manufacturers tailor
their handsets to suit the American carriers.  This is despite a higher rate
of  penetration of phones in other markets, and a greater uptake of
technology in those places.  Think iMode for example.

Can anyone explain why?

-- Dave White

1. Startup app disable and memory mgmt

Microsoft has finally allowed users to remove / disable certain parts
of the OS after install.  My point here is that one should be able to
do a similar thing in a truly "open" platform -- I should be able to
remove apps such as the corporate calendar, gmail calendar, etc. that
I don't use and make other apps that I rarely use available like
Alarms only start when I want them to.

Thus, I can use memory for exactly what I want (and thus power how I
want it as the 1400 mAh battery is just barely sufficient).  I suppose
the ultimate open-ness here would be for one to be able to adjust how
much memory is used for storage and how much is used for programs like
widows mobile devices do.  However, I'm not sure it that is
technically possible condering the underlying architecture...

I think until one can manage the phone's file system and determine
startup apps it can't really be considered truly "open".

--

2. Need to test my app on DROID - need volunteers!

Hi Guys,

Please drop me a line if any of you owning DROID would like to test my
application (named "aCar" under "Productivity" category on Google Market) on
your device. I need a few explicit things (very simple) to be tested.

Thank you,
Armond

--

3. Adhoc WLan with Android 2.0?

4. I would love a bit of consistency!!!

5. Notification Sounds Download?

6. Android on Screen keyboard

7. Google Voice Search function into SMS field for Texting!