When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by Eks » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:05:16 GMT

 The sorry state of Android Market really worries me. I was hoping
really big from google. But alas, it seems to be a failure as of now.
And google is taking so long to improve upon things.
If people google wants Android market to be a success, then they need
to make radical changes in Android Market and with greater speed.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by Streets Of Boston » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:11:04 GMT

 1. More payment options (e.g. paypal or user's phone-bill)
2. Allow for installation of games (game-data at least) on SD card.
3. Here in the USA: Some marketing of not just the G1, but the Android
Market.

And some other things, but the above 3 are on my top-list :)

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by lbcoder » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 01:10:06 GMT

 The main problem with the market is that there is insufficient
enforcement over the CRAP that is posted. All the themes and other
nonsense should not be there.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by KonstantinDK » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 02:02:21 GMT

 There's a lot of non official markets that offer apps, too. I don't
trust them, would prefer everything to be on one official android
market. But yes, with this drawbacks (payment, only 2 countries for
paid apps etc) it's not gonna happen soon.

But by the en of the year, with the launch of more android phones it
will become a bigger issue. Hopefully Google will deal with it then.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by Al Sutton » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 02:21:15 GMT

 My company runs one of the alternative markets (AndAppStore), so I'd be
interested to know what makes you not trust them.

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

There's a lot of non official markets that offer apps, too. I don't trust
them, would prefer everything to be on one official android market. But yes,
with this drawbacks (payment, only 2 countries for paid apps etc) it's not
gonna happen soon.

But by the en of the year, with the launch of more android phones it will
become a bigger issue. Hopefully Google will deal with it then.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by KonstantinDK » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 06:25:08 GMT

 Correction: maybe not all apps on the apple store, there are some
others, but still.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by KonstantinDK » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 06:25:13 GMT

 Look at the iphone. ALl the apps are on the iphone store. I'd expect
the same for android. I'm gonna assume that apps on the official
markets/stores are somewhat safer, maybe even tested. I'm sure if
there's malware, it's gonna be removed. But who runs those other
stores? Do they check the apps? Etc. I'm not saying they are all bad
or that any of them are bad. But I feel more confident and safe about
official ones.

GOd, there must be dozens android apps stores. I say 'WTF!?"

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by BikingBill » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:34:09 GMT

 Unless they add a billing system the customers already have, it won't.

They need billing to the phone bill.

Also, they need a off-device (Website) based ordering system.  More
than 1/2 the iPhone sales happen on a PC/Mac.

Bill Volk

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by KonstantinDK » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:54:55 GMT

 Just to visualize how much Google needs to catch up

 http://www.google.com/trends?q=android %2C+iphone&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by sam » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:26:48 GMT

 Check the 2nd chart from the following blog
 http://ysl-paradise.blogspot.com/2009/04/android-market.html

This chart shows that the AppStore v.s. Market for the # of app.

You can see that it's still a long way for Market to go.

1. Can SurfaceView be the view of PopupWindow

hi all,
I am working with fullscreen handwrite trace drawing,
want to use SurfaceView and Thread to make drawing fast, like
LunarLander.
but the canvas is always null:
public void run(){
            while (mRun) {
                Canvas c = null;
                try {
                    c = mSurfaceHolder.lockCanvas(null); //c is always
null! why???
                    synchronized (mSurfaceHolder) {
                        //if (mMode == STATE_RUNNING) updatePhysics();
                        doDraw(c);
                    }
                } finally {
                    // do this in a finally so that if an exception is
thrown
                    // during the above, we don't leave the Surface in
an
                    // inconsistent state
                    if (c != null) {
                        mSurfaceHolder.unlockCanvasAndPost(c);

surfaceCreated has been called before this.

anybody know why the canvas is alway null?

the different between my app and LunarLander is that my SurfaceView is
the view of PopupWindow.

Can SurfaceView be the view of PopupWindow?

--

2. Unable to build a native application(Camera) in Eclipse galileo

Hi all,

It's not possible for me to build the Camera code in eclipse, I just
need to compile it and put breakpoints in the perspective of checking
the flow of the application execution. Its giving many errors and most
of the variables and apis used are in the code aren't seen compatible.
If it is literally not possible to build such a signed code in eclipse
what is the reason?, I mean, if any other java code can be compiled in
the tool why can't this be done so?...
please help me out with a solution or a genuine reason for that..

regards,
narendra

--

3. How to show a 'Progress View' during a ListView is loading

4. Missing .apk file

5. How to work with ContactsContract.Contacts.CONTENT_VCARD_URI

6. motally analytics for Android

7. Informed Build Targeting, what information is out there?