When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by Eks » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:05:16 GMT

 The sorry state of Android Market really worries me. I was hoping
really big from google. But alas, it seems to be a failure as of now.
And google is taking so long to improve upon things.
If people google wants Android market to be a success, then they need
to make radical changes in Android Market and with greater speed.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by Streets Of Boston » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:11:04 GMT

 1. More payment options (e.g. paypal or user's phone-bill)
2. Allow for installation of games (game-data at least) on SD card.
3. Here in the USA: Some marketing of not just the G1, but the Android
Market.

And some other things, but the above 3 are on my top-list :)

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by lbcoder » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 01:10:06 GMT

 The main problem with the market is that there is insufficient
enforcement over the CRAP that is posted. All the themes and other
nonsense should not be there.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by KonstantinDK » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 02:02:21 GMT

 There's a lot of non official markets that offer apps, too. I don't
trust them, would prefer everything to be on one official android
market. But yes, with this drawbacks (payment, only 2 countries for
paid apps etc) it's not gonna happen soon.

But by the en of the year, with the launch of more android phones it
will become a bigger issue. Hopefully Google will deal with it then.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by Al Sutton » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 02:21:15 GMT

 My company runs one of the alternative markets (AndAppStore), so I'd be
interested to know what makes you not trust them.

Al.

---

* Written an Android App? - List it at  http://andappstore.com/  *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

There's a lot of non official markets that offer apps, too. I don't trust
them, would prefer everything to be on one official android market. But yes,
with this drawbacks (payment, only 2 countries for paid apps etc) it's not
gonna happen soon.

But by the en of the year, with the launch of more android phones it will
become a bigger issue. Hopefully Google will deal with it then.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by KonstantinDK » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 06:25:08 GMT

 Correction: maybe not all apps on the apple store, there are some
others, but still.

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by KonstantinDK » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 06:25:13 GMT

 Look at the iphone. ALl the apps are on the iphone store. I'd expect
the same for android. I'm gonna assume that apps on the official
markets/stores are somewhat safer, maybe even tested. I'm sure if
there's malware, it's gonna be removed. But who runs those other
stores? Do they check the apps? Etc. I'm not saying they are all bad
or that any of them are bad. But I feel more confident and safe about
official ones.

GOd, there must be dozens android apps stores. I say 'WTF!?"

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by BikingBill » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:34:09 GMT

 Unless they add a billing system the customers already have, it won't.

They need billing to the phone bill.

Also, they need a off-device (Website) based ordering system.  More
than 1/2 the iPhone sales happen on a PC/Mac.

Bill Volk

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by KonstantinDK » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:54:55 GMT

 Just to visualize how much Google needs to catch up

 http://www.google.com/trends?q=android %2C+iphone&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

When will Android Market will compete with Apple's app store

by sam » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:26:48 GMT

 Check the 2nd chart from the following blog
 http://ysl-paradise.blogspot.com/2009/04/android-market.html

This chart shows that the AppStore v.s. Market for the # of app.

You can see that it's still a long way for Market to go.

1. How to change a listitem in a ListActivity when it is selected?

Hi All,
    When a listitem in a ListActivity is selected, I want to add some
ImageButtons on the listitem and want to change its height from 60px
to 90px. When the listitem is unseleted, it will be restored. How
should I do?

2. "Finish" Activity from Dialog... Not finishing

Hi,

I've got an application with one main activity, and I've got an error
dialog with a "ok" button on it, that when pressed calls "finish" on
the activity.  It seems to work fine when I test the app manually, but
when I run the "monkey" tool, it is somehow killing my dialog by
pressing 'Ok', but not finishing the app.

All my dialogs are managed by the activity, and here's my dialog
setup:

                case ERROR_DIALOG_ID:
                    Log.d("ErrorDialog", "Error Shown.");
                    errorDialogShown = true;
                        final Activity instance = this;
                        return new AlertDialog.Builder(this)
                                .setMessage(error)
                                .setCancelable(false)
                                .setPositiveButton(getText(R.string.ok), new
DialogInterface.OnClickListener() {
                           public void onClick(DialogInterface dialog, int id) {
                                    Log.d("ErrorDialog", "OK clicked.");
                                instance.finish();
                                    Log.d("ErrorDialog", "Finished.");
                           }
                                })
                                .create();

And here's my log output:

I/ActivityManager(  572): Starting activity: Intent
{ action=android.intent.action.MAIN categories=
{android.intent.category.LAUNCHER} flags=0x10000000 comp={XXX} }
D/onCreateDialog(  841): Showing progress dialog.
D/GpsLocationProvider(  572): setMinTime 0
W/KeyCharacterMap(  841): No keyboard for id 0
W/KeyCharacterMap(  841): Using default keymap: /system/usr/keychars/
qwerty.kcm.bin
D/progressDialog(  841): Try last loc clicked.
D/LocationManager(  841): removeUpdates: listener = x...@43753f58
D/ErrorDialog(  841): Error Shown.
I/ActivityManager(  572): Displayed activity XXX: 4993 ms
D/ErrorDialog(  841): OK clicked.
D/ErrorDialog(  841): Finished.
W/IInputConnectionWrapper(  678): showStatusIcon on inactive
InputConnection
I/AndroidRuntime(  876): AndroidRuntime onExit calling exit(0)
D/dalvikvm(  678): GC freed 1453 objects / 41216 bytes in 117ms

And the activity never dies--in other words, it's remaining visible to
the user.  It's like the dialog was dismissed, and that was it.  When
I hit the back button on the device, it'll destroy the instance.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
-Shemmy

3. How to rename an application's private file?

4. Query on PDP context creation

5. Application that uploads/downloads data files

6. I Phone Developer-Urgent Opening

7. "Flow" or "Multiline" layout?