I've developed for a bunch of platforms and I'm starting to get a bit
frustrated with Android/Google. It seems like you didn't quite think
things through for developers.
1) There's no way to dialog on ratings. Even in a stupid web blog the
author is allowed to comment in a discussion. Ratings should be more
like discussions. Lots of sites do this well, there's no need to
reinvent the wheel.
2) There's no way to remove the ratings from dumb shills for other
products who trash your product.
3) There's no way to see ratings that are declared as Spam. I'd like
to see what's getting marked as Spam in case it's the same shills
pushing their own products marking good reviews as Spam.
4) The score includes all those dumb shills so the star score is
consistently low and the product will always languish.
5) We still don't have .33 for our phones. I can't mark something as
Spam yet nor even see what's for sale on Market. This should have been
ready when it rolled to users. Or at least tell us WHEN it will be
ready. This 'coming soon' stuff doesn't do much fo rme.
6) All google lookups for doc go to the old doc site. Can't you at
least upgrade your references in search to go to the new doc?
7) There's no way to post an update for a non-free product! Wtf is
that? That's ok if you're producing the typical dumb iPhone flash game
but for a real product?
8) There's still a huge black hole in the dev for bluetooth, as well
as a bunch of missing documentation for more kernel-related stuff.
9) The web interface for market is miserable. Why can't we see all the
apps there? Why don't we have the same set of controls we do from the
phone along with a discussion/blog for ratings.
10) Adding a more serious set of rich-text info (with maybe a picture
or two) as a hyperlink from market would be easy and really great for
developers. 325 plaintext characters doesn't do much for anyone.
For what it's worth - finding this group is hard. The new developer
help page that gets to communities is a mess.
Earlier in the year my location application was pulling the Country
Code of US, now the app pulls the Country code as United States, which
is jacking up my web link generation process.
Did the API values change? If so, when?